Shark Bite at Phil Foster Park

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

.... Opportunity for a bite or just letting you know you are in their space? .

That is SO TRUE !! With the bulls when we are spearing, every once in a while you get one that the best way to describe it is "Like a light switch". One minute posturing and circling but keeping it's distance, then all the sudden it 'lights up' and all heck breaks loose and you are punching him with the butt of your gun to turn the shark's "switch" back off.

Last year I had one come in, get punched and looked to turn off, just to see him bend completely in half where his tail almost touched his head and spin right back on me. I was thinking 2 things at the same time,,'Didn't know they could bend like that!" and " Time to use the pointy end now "

:D
That is SO TRUE !! With the bulls when we are spearing, every once in a while you get one that the best way to describe it is "Like a light switch". One minute posturing and circling but keeping it's distance, then all the sudden it 'lights up' and all heck breaks loose and you are punching him with the butt of your gun to turn the shark's "switch" back off.

Last year I had one come in, get punched and looked to turn off, just to see him bend completely in half where his tail almost touched his head and spin right back on me. I was thinking 2 things at the same time,,'Didn't know they could bend like that!" and " Time to use the pointy end now "

I would love to get Jimmy Abernethy to weigh in on this issue....the issue of how to "control" or correct shark behavior when they are "switch on" like this....

BACK IN THE OLD DAYS, Jimmy was one of the best spearfisherman you could ever dive with..he could do unbelievable things...now days he is more of a "born-again" videographer-don't kill anything diver/ operator, but he is also one of the top shark experts on the planet......

I would love to hear what Jimmy would say to do in the scenario where a pack of bulls is all over divers at a deco stop ( fish should have been long since removed from occaision or the question becomes "how do you help a retard?" :D

Jimmy is at www.scuba-adventures.com , where there is a link to his new MOVIE on sharks!

:D

I would love to get Jimmy Abernethy to weigh in on this issue....the issue of how to "control" or correct shark behavior when they are "switch on" like this....

BACK IN THE OLD DAYS, Jimmy was one of the best spearfisherman you could ever dive with..he could do unbelievable things...now days he is more of a "born-again" videographer-don't kill anything diver/ operator, but he is also one of the top shark experts on the planet......

I would love to hear what Jimmy would say to do in the scenario where a pack of bulls is all over divers at a deco stop ( fish should have been long since removed from occaision or the question becomes "how do you help a retard?" :D

Jimmy is at www.scuba-adventures.com , where there is a link to his new MOVIE on sharks!

That might be interesting. Didn't he himself recently get bit again by a shark??? Has he made any posts about how that happened and how it can be avoided?

That might be interesting. Didn't he himself recently get bit again by a shark??? Has he made any posts about how that happened and how it can be avoided?
Considering Jimmy is up close and personal with 10 or more huge sharks 25 days out of every 30 days, for the last decade, I don't think one nip is much of an issue to worry about...that was more like a Rodeo cowboy who just had his foot stepped on by his horse :)

I forwarded the posts to him, but since he is in the Bahamas about 25 days out of every 30, I don't know if he will make time to answer this.....He usually is maxxed out with catching up on business whenever he is here.

I forwarded the posts to him, but since he is in the Bahamas about 25 days out of every 30, I don't know if he will make time to answer this.....He usually is maxxed out with catching up on business whenever he is here.

One thing is for certain. He is not at BHB stabbing flounder and collecting tropicals...

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom