Shark Dive-Roatan 2008

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey - I'm going to Anthony's Key in a couple of weeks and was planning to do the shark dive. I was under the impression that AKR farmed out the experience to Waihuka. The other videos I've seen that were from Waihuka are in about 70 feet of water and they have you backed up against a 10' high coral wall. This looked completely different. Is AKR doing thier own shark dives now? Can you tell me about the operator and the dive profile? My diving companion is less concerned about the sharks than she is about doing it in 70 feet of water.

When were you there? Thanks in advance for the info!!

Video rookie - Nice video ... makes me want to go back.

rythmmaker - this looks like exactly the same spot where I did this dive in 2006. As I recall, there were sort of two phases of this shark experience. At first they have all the divers stationary, but then after several minutes if all is well they have you free swim over the reef with the sharks. I think most of this video was during that second part of the dive. It's a really cool experience. I can't say for sure what the depth was.

Oh, and in the credits it says the DM was Sergio - that would be the same guy from Waihuka. I shot an interview with him for our Diving Roatan DVD.

I'm pretty sure it was thru Waihuka, but all you need to do is sign up at the dive shop at AKR if you are staying there. The boat ride is a bit long, especially if the sea is rough, it really bothered my wife. The depth was about 70' from what I remember (my dive log is TX, and I'm in WA at the moment).

It was definately a great experience, and not really scary at all, which surprised me.

You start out backed up to the wall, then if Sergio motions to swim, you swim with the sharks for a while, then it's back to the wall before the bucket is opened. Many look for and find shark teeth after the frenzy is done.

Enjoyed the rolling shark with the drum stuck to its head.

Thanks for sharing.

Timo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom