Shark finning.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pinko

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I dunno if this is in the right area, if it isn't then please move it.

Anyway m doing a project on shark finning. I want to teach people about shark finning & how it is recking the earths oceans. At the moment I can only inform people around my area as I can't travel around to other places and so on. So I thourght I could help spread the word on here.

Shark finning is the process of which the fin of a shark is hacked off, the body (sometimes living) is then thrown of the side of the boat to either drown or be eaten by other living creatures. Every year 10s of millions of sharks die becuase of shark finning. Since the 1970's the populations of many shark species have been decimated by over 95%.shark finning takes place at sea so the fishers only have to transport the fins. Shark meat is considered low value and therefore not worth the cost of transporting the bulky shark bodies to market.Shark finning is widespread, and largely unmanaged and unmonitored. Shark finning has increased over the past decade due to the increasing demand for shark fins such as for Chinese shark fin soup.

Helpful sites
SHARKWATER
www.wildaid.org
Shark Research Institute- shark conservation, education, elasmobranch research, trips, expeditions, student education, save the sharks!
seasheperd.org

If you want anymore infomation then just P.M and ask. But please help spread the word of shark finning. Together we can stop it.

there are a couple of things you can do to help stop shark finning:

Sponsor a billboard targeting the Chinese in China -
Buy a billboard in China. Strike a blow against shark fin soup!

Sign a Petition:
Stop Shark finning on The Great Barrier Reef If you are polite and write in your own words you get a reply. I got an email this morning from the office of the Premier.

Read the Bill to help stop a loop hole in the US - Write your Senators to get it passed.

Shark Savers has more.

-

Unfortunatly Shark Finning is very hard to stop and here in the Philippines even baby sharks get finned! If you find an answer to this problem then please let us all know.

Here's a start, contact Arthur C Yap, Department Of Agriculture, Phillipines
Tel.# (632) 920-4323; 920-43-58; 929-8183, 926-6426
(fax) loc. 2209, 2211, 2212, 2241

he is also on facebook:
Arthur C. Yap | Facebook
Send him a message and tell him how you feel.

It is now..

Thankyou

Ive started my own shop/charity in the town where I live (Liverpool). You can get pictures of underwater animals, T-shirts, mugs, mouse mats a range of things. At the end of the year or month half of the money is sent to organisations that help stop shark finning. So if you ever come to liverpool please stop by and show your support.

Best of luck to you

You will not find a single supporter of finning on this board, and thats a good thing.

The problem is the Asian market, specifically China, that creates the demand for this product - its considered unthinkable (and very bad manners) not to serve shark fin soup at a wedding, for example. But their culture has advocated the eating of anything that "shows it back to heaven", including dogs.

For those who say western culutre is just as bad b/c for example geese are force fed to create oversized livers, used in pate - well its not the same - I don't eat liver of any type and hate to see any animal suffer - but lets face it, geese are not exactly an endangered species, and don't play the ecological role sharks do in our oceans.

Its kind of like security screening here in the USA - until we say the hell w/ political correctness and start screening based on profiling as they do in Israel - all we have accomplished is a ton of hassle for the vast majority of people.

We need to tell China that its not acceptable - but good luck w/ that given how much of our debt is held by them - likely low on the list of US priorites.

Still, all the best to you.

PS Sailingk8 has made some really excellent suggestions in her post - if you are in ernest, following her suggestions would be a great start.

Last edited:
I was watching this film made by rob stewart, him and sea shepard were being arrested by the police because they were stopping boats from pulling in long lines and that so they decided to leave. But later on in the film Rob goes to this like port area and the whole place is full of shark fins and that.

Back
Top Bottom