Sharks face to face?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

......"get back to back with your buddy" That way one of you is watching the agressive shark at all times. Only get back to back if the shark is circling too close in for you both to keep an eye on it.

About 15 years ago, I was finishing up some checkout dives with 4 students. We had completed dive number 4 and were packing away our gear. Some other divers got on board and announced there was a 10 ft shark under the boat. I grabbed my mask, snorkel, fins and bailed over the side as I wanted to get a good look at it. Unfortunately, it was long gone before I got in the water, so I didn't see it. When I got back on board, one of my students asked me a question, "Mr. Wilt........" I reminded him to call me Walter. His response was, "Anyone who jumps in the water after sharks, I call Mr."

WWW™

cherinere...

Listen to Walter but I don't think you will ever (good chance) encounter a shark attacking a diver. Don't prevoke it and it will leave you alone just like you would leave him alone. You will love the first time you see a shark...they are graceful in the water and really have no intention on eating you unless of course they are starving..... JK

Dive Safe....

Aardal
:tree:

As most of the people have said, Sharks are generally not aggressive towards divers. The first time I saw a shark (other than a nurse shark) it was a magical and wonderful moment I'll never forget. It was off West Palm Beach and in unlimited viz and it was a Caribean Black Tip around 6 - 8 ft long. A beautiful animal that was curious about these funny bubble blowing creatures. When the shark got close enough to see what was going on, it was gone in a flash. Aside from a newbie (his first open water dive after cert) diver that warmed the water even more than it was at the time, no one else saw the shark. Amazing.

O.K. guys
I think I might be alright with the sharks it is being in the water with you two at the same time that would scare me!
Thanks for the laugh, comic relief is always the best, and you two are quite the team. P.S. Have you ever dove together or do you just like to buddy up on-line?

...........we'd love to form a three person buddy team with you.

Seriously, I enjoy meeting and diving with new people. If anyone from the board is planning some diving in Florida, give me a shout. I'd love to meet you for a dive.

I do know DennisW fairly well and have dived with him once or twice.

WWW™

cherinere...

Unfortunatly we are not buddies. Can you imagine the two of us trying to apply the stratagies we both described above! I think the shark would laugh at us and wait for the two of us to just kill each other and then eat us. We live at opposite ends of the US so unfortunatly Walter and I have never met. Take care and i'm glad you can enjoy the comic relief.

Dive Safe...

Aardal
=-)

Hi Cher,

Hopefuly, this "RSD" column I wrote back in Mar of '00 will provide you with specific answers to your concerns:

"While statistics are not fully reliable and vary substantially across time, over the years 1990 through 1997 an average of about 9 unprovoked attacks per year on divers were reported worldwide. Slightly less than 20% proved fatal. In other words, out of the millions of dives done worldwide in each of the last 8 years, on average less than 2 divers per year died as a result of unprovoked shark attack. Death by lightening or a vending machine falling on you is far more probable. Furthermore, these attacks were much more likely to occur in some areas than others. The most numerous attacks on divers occur in the continental US, Australia and Africa (2/3rds in the Republic of South Africa), respectively. Within the US, Florida and California account equally for the majority; Hawaii has less than 1/4 the total of these two states.

Sharks, about which much remains unknown, are among the ocean's most fascinating and maligned creatures. Around for hundreds of millions years, they have changed little in the past tens of millions. The approximately 370 living species range in size from the 6" carnivorous juvenile Dwarf Sharks to the 45’+ plankton eating mature Whale Shark.

Sharks are fearsome predators due to marvelously acute sensory systems, including the ability to sense infinitesimally weak electrical fields, very low frequency sounds such those generated by escaping and struggling prey, and a sense of smell which can detect a single drop of blood in one million drops of water. While vision tends not to be nearly as well developed, some sharks have excellent sensitivity to contrast and motion, and low light acuity.

The majority of sharks pose no threat to man; only about 42 species have been implicated in attacks worldwide. Great Whites account for the majority, and these are often believed to be cases food confusion; humans are not at the top of the menu with high fat animals like seal and sea lion. Next in order are the Tiger and Bull, who some feel aggress just because the diver is in proximity.

Most shark attacks occur from below or behind and are unseen by the diver, but sharks within the line of vision occasionally signal they are disturbed. This commonly takes the form of an S-shaped posture, with arching of the back, lowering of the pectoral fins, & movement of the tail to one side, and rarely shaking of the head from side to side--you'll recognize it. If you observe this, return to the boat if possible; if not, slowly sink to the bottom or back up against a reef or wall, and remain motionless. If a shark approaches you very closely, growl loudly into your reg or purge the second stage in front of it and yell. If you have no other recourse, such as when a shark bumps you, bang it on the snout, but only with a gloved hand or arm, or inanimate object. The skin of many sharks is quite rough and could easily draw blood from an unprotected body part. A number of protective measures have been experimented with, including certain chemicals and electrical shields, but none has proved infallible.

You can reduce the already tiny odds of attack by: (1) not diving near fishing, and especially spearfishing; (2) diving in groups; (3) avoiding deep channels and shallow water which rapidly becomes deep; (4) not diving at dusk, dawn or after dark; (5) avoiding shiny jewelry and exposure suits with contrasting colors; (6) not harassing a shark; and (7) returning to the boat when a shark becomes overly inquisitive or postures.

A diver following the above suggestions has no reason for fear."

Hope this puts you more at ease.

DocVikingo

Thank you, your information is something that to me is very valuable. I dive next week in the Cayman's and am sure this will be my first encounter and need all the support I can get. My fear is very real and the more info I get the better I feel. Thank you for being so open and serious about a subject I feel very strongly about. I will let you know how I fair when all is said and done. One more Question and I know this may sound odd but I will ask anyway, does the odor of urine act as a turn off for sharks?
This was told to me by someone and something I am sure will come easily if I see one so will be a bonus if it is true.
If not then I will just plead the dumb blonde thing and be done with it.

Cher,

You couldn't dive with a better buddy than Walter, although I am a little biased. He is my little brother (by 15 months) and my SCUBA Instructor as well. If you get to Florida, make sure you try to look him up and go diving. If I can come along, I'll be there too, but Walter get's to dive much more than I do and he is your best bet. Walter, Once or twice? too funny.

..........I don't know the exact number, but I was there for your 1st 4 and your 100th as well as some in between. You'd be able to count that up easier than I can. You forgot the "fairly well."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom