Sharkskin Men's Chillproof Titanium Long Sleeve Full Zip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ishkrbibbl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Anyone got any personal experience with a Sharkskin Men's Chillproof Titanium Long Sleeve Full Zip

Want to simplify my travel kit and the idea of something like this fascinates me.

If not the Sharkskin got any favorites that keep you plenty warm?

ThnxInAdvance - d

I used one recently in Mexico. Wore that, boots, and board shorts and was good in 83F water.

It took a bit to dry but that was partially due to where we tried to dry it (room full of wetsuits with limited air movement).

I used one recently in Mexico. Wore that, boots, and board shorts and was good in 83F water.

It took a bit to dry but that was partially due to where we tried to dry it (room full of wetsuits with limited air movement).

Sizing accurate?
Anything to consider?
5’9”, 170

I know this is a few months old. I have this top and the older non-titanium pants. Im 5'10, 183lbs. 41" chest, 32 waist. I bought medium because they stretch when wet. Pretty dang tight when dry on the boat, but fit while diving. I prefer the top's outer fabric, the older bottoms are more of a slick spandex feel, so they snag and pill a bit when they rub against something rough. The titanium's outer fabric is more of a thicker weave. They are more like a 3mm than 5mm warmth wise. I cant tell any difference in warmth between versions. They will dry if you turn them inside out, but will need to wring them out a few times, as the water will accumulate at the wrist and waist stitching with gravity. I really like the neutral bouyancy, 2 piece design, dries quickly with some help. There's a bunch of water intrusion on entry, but I have been warm. I dont feel the need to quickly get out of the sharkskins after a dive like I do in a regular wetsuit. I would normally get chilly on a SI in a wetsuit.​
We did the Caribbean Explorer II liveaboard over Thanksgiving and I was comfortable. For night dives, I wore this as a base layer and Frogskins as the outer. iProbe Frogskins dry super fast and are super stretchy. They dont add much bouyancy. (I dont have to dive with weights in any of these combinations) I bought those in a 2 piece sz Large. Frogskin seams will allow some water intrusion. They arent taped, and not sure if glued.​
Having frogskins and sharkskins gives you quite a few options and dont take up much space or weight in your bag. This is my new kit when it comes to exposure suits. Unless I can find a deal on Titanium pants :)

They dont add much bouyancy. (I dont have to dive with weights in any of these combinations)

When you say that you don't need weights.... Are you diving a backplate (Al or SS?) Steel or Al tanks?

AL backplate (Mares) and AL tank on the liveaboard. Deep6gear reg set. I normally had about 1100 to 1400 psi remaining after a 60min dive.

Just purchased a SharkSkin T2 Jacket for 80-81 degree diving (2 hours). Was FREEZING about 1/2 way thru the dive. Their claim that it's equivalent to a 4-5mm neoprene wetsuit doesn't fly in my opinion. It's more like a 2-3mm. And the Chillproof is more like a 1-2mm wetsuit. Just be aware, they are NOT was warm as they claim.

That said, it's still a nice suit and very flexible with almost no bouyance to compensate for.

Ended up buying...

Lavacore LAVASKIN Men's Long Sleeve Shirt Rash Guard​

and it worked out great. Diving Roatan 81 wasn't cold at all. Dry time a little long but I htink i'll just buy another and alternate on dive days so one can dry all of the way

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom