SHARKWATER Movie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saw it yesterday in NYC. a powerful message. i wish more people saw it. only 14 - although that was the 4th or 5th showing of the day. they should show this in schools. there is so little awareness of what's going on and in china there is probably none. if there were just one hedge fund billionaire who made this his pet cause... unfortunately george soros was not one of the 14.

I'm sure our Chamber of Commerce would prefer that this movie not be shown in our local theaters on Catalina (they shy away from anything related to sharks even though our waters are pretty darn safe). I guess I'll just have to read the book instead... after all, the book is usually better than any movie they make from it (just kidding here).

Laura and I saw it yesterday in La Jolla with one of our dive friends. There were 18 people in the theater; two were children under 8. La Jolla's not that far from Avalon, Dr. Bill!

It was a very powerful film.

The one comment that I disagree with, though, was the one about the fact that we are doing serious damage and we all know it. While there are SOME who know about the affect of our actions, I would hazard that the MAJORITY of those in the world do NOT know or understand what will happen when the shark population gets to the point where it can no longer sustain itself.

The VP for the shark product company is a perfect example of my point.

Ian

I don't think that the point in the movie was that everyone knew it and just didn't care. I think he was more saying that the scientists, the environmental activists, etc. know but they just haven't been able to display the problem to mainstream society because of the media's bias toward what people would rather watch, sharks eating people or other exciting things that make sharks look like monsters. I forget which specific part in the movie but one person that was interviewed specifically talked about how the scientists knew but the public was completely oblivious. Rob knows that this issue is not known by most people and that is the reason behind making the film. I completely agree with you that most people in the world have absolutely no clue what is going on or what it will do, and most people don't even care because who cares about the "monsters of the deep." I couldn't believe that the vp of that company knew so little about the impact his company was causing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom