shave mustache?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rufous

Registered
Reaction score
With my current mask I find that it will not hold a seal because of my mustache. Do I need to shave my mustache or can I find a mask that will work? Thanks, Rufous.

You might want to try shaving just a little bit right under the nose, if your stache goes up that far, so the mask has a place to seal.

I just trim the top 1/8 inch. That keeps me dry. You can also try things like rubbing chapstick in the top (or snot). Make sure that when you put your mask on, all the stash hair is pointed down, too.

what i have always done was trim a little right under my nose like the others have said plus i put a little silicone (the same stuff you use on your o-rings) on it and it works great.

steve

I have a mustache and I don't trim it under the nose, I also don't put anything in it. I tried on a lot of masks and picked the one that gave me the best seal. Just put it on your face in the store (without the strap) breath in through your nose and try to pull it off. My mask leaks very little and I just clear it every 10 minutes or so. No hassles ... no extra grooming.

Eric

Try trimming just once and you might not have to clear every 10 minutes. You might not have to clear at all for the whole dive!

EricDive:
I have a mustache and I don't trim it under the nose, I also don't put anything in it. I tried on a lot of masks and picked the one that gave me the best seal. Just put it on your face in the store (without the strap) breath in through your nose and try to pull it off. My mask leaks very little and I just clear it every 10 minutes or so. No hassles ... no extra grooming.

Eric

Ditto..most dives I don't need to clear at all. If it fits right, it won't leak.

Currently I'm using the Mythos, but the last one was fine as well. My first mask on the other was sold to me on the idea that I would need to shave and or apply something to my moustache in order for it to seal (I had to shave the whole thing off, which gives you the reason for buying the second mask).

Jeff

Jeff

A couple of friends smear a little vasaline on theire stash. they say it works great. don't use a water based product as it will wash off as soon as you go in the water.

shave. i did. :) silicone grease will help a bit. mask with a purge valve helps if you're having to clear the mask a lot

I find that shaving works best for me.

Ooop. :11: What am I doing in this forum?!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom