Shearwater Computers and CCR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@RobPNW correct. So if you tell the Teric that your setpoint is 1.1, then in order for it to actually give you some sort of useful deco information, you have to maintain a setpoint of 1.1. Doesn't have to be exact but you want say 1.05:1.15 which is a lot less difficult than it sounds.
The diver monitors the actual parameters via something that is attached to the computer. All of the breathers on the market now, to my knowledge have integrated decompression computers that are actively monitoring the cells, so they monitor in real-time, with real ppO2 data. Back in the day, they would just be monitors and you had to keep your ppO2 close enough to whatever value you told the computer.
So would you personally recommend that a person just forego the watch style computer and get something like a slightly bulkier forearm mounted computer or a console computer that can physically connect to the equipment and calculate everything based on actual sensor data? For the foreseeable future I see myself doing open circuit diving and was contemplating the AI watch computer route. But if I can get a bigger computer that is more reliable for for CCR use down the road, I may have to rethink the plan.

So would you personally recommend that a person just forego the watch style computer and get something like a slightly bulkier forearm mounted computer or a console computer that can physically connect to the equipment and calculate everything based on actual sensor data? For the foreseeable future I see myself doing open circuit diving and was contemplating the AI watch computer route. But if I can get a bigger computer that is more reliable for for CCR use down the road, I may have to rethink the plan.

not unless CCR is in your very near future and you are fairly certain which CCR you're going to get. It's not that the monitors are more reliable, just more precise for your decompression. Since essentially all modern CCR's have integrated deco computers, it will still be a worthwhile computer to keep for redundancy. If you value AI as well, only the NERD2 can both monitor wireless pressure sensors as well as oxygen sensors. The NERD2 is annoying for open circuit diving unless you're in a FFM, but even if you purchase one, you don't know now if you need one with a Fischer cable *the worst of the options*, a 4-pin subconn that is only available for purchase from KISS and Revo, or a 5-pin DiveCAN version.

Get the computer you want to get now, and if/when you go to CCR, you'll be surprised at how accurate the deco information is between the real-time monitor and the independent computer provided you are maintaining a consistent setpoint.

Great thanks for all the help!
Take care,
Rob

Good description of the 3 versions. I'll add that the controller also come in DIV-CAN and non-DIV-CAN versions as well. The DIV-CAN runs a digital communication between parts. The O2 cells and solenoid will be on one side and the computer on the other. Not trying to power solenoids through a disconnectable plug. If the controller completely dies or the cable is severed the O2 cells and solenoid are left to there own on your back. Usually set to try and keep the last programmed setpoint. Adds a bit of redundancy if you loose the controller. Add in every good rebreather has a secondary O2 monitor.

@RobPNW, If you get a computer now you likely won't be able to use it with your future rebreather as a controller or to read your PO2 in real time. It should make a good backup computer for those. Or possibly as a primary dive computer for a rebreather without cell monitoring (along the lines of an RB80 or Kiss Gem). I use my Petrel2 as a primary for my OC dives and switch it to CCR mode as a backup computer for my rebreather diving.

Good description of the 3 versions. I'll add that the controller also come in DIV-CAN and non-DIV-CAN versions as well. The DIV-CAN runs a digital communication between parts. The O2 cells and solenoid will be on one side and the computer on the other. Not trying to power solenoids through a disconnectable plug. If the controller completely dies or the cable is severed the O2 cells and solenoid are left to there own on your back. Usually set to try and keep the last programmed setpoint. Adds a bit of redundancy if you loose the controller. Add in every good rebreather has a secondary O2 monitor.

I mentioned the Predator controller, but I'm not aware of any rebreathers other than the Hammerhead that doesn't use a separate control board, and I certainly consider that rebreather obsolete. The DiveCAN was not the first canbus based system on the market, I think Poseidon gets that distinction, then APD, but it's certainly the most popular these days.

I only have 50 something dives so my intention is to keep getting smarter on my OC gear before I try and get too complicated. But since I'm probably gonna drop over a grand on a computer, I figured I'd ask for future options.

Hopefully this isn't a stupid question, but just as an AI wrist computer can wirelessly monitor tank pressure from a transmitter, is there an equivalent in the CCR world? A wireless transmitter that can communicate with a computer and relay sensor data?

I only have 50 something dives so my intention is to keep getting smarter on my OC gear before I try and get too complicated. But since I'm probably gonna drop over a grand on a computer, I figured I'd ask for future options.

Hopefully this isn't a stupid question, but just as an AI wrist computer can wirelessly monitor tank pressure from a transmitter, is there an equivalent in the CCR world? A wireless transmitter that can communicate with a computer and relay sensor data?
No, they are all hardwired. The Sentinel used wireless for some stuff but it was a failure.

Don’t spend that much. Buy a cheap computer now and later you can buy what you need at the time. When you loose or break the cheap computer you will be ahead by $700.

Computers are not what makes diving fun. Spend the difference going diving, or if you live where the water is cold on a drysuit. Being warm makes a much bigger difference. Mostly a more expensive computer makes the same difference to your diving enjoyment as driving to the sea in a more expensive car.

Sadly not. It's been requested to @Shearwater but it's a lot more complicated than monitoring tank pressure. Have to power an a2d conversion for 3 sensors, but also have to send that data much more frequently than with tank pressure so the pod would have to be much bigger, or would have really short battery life in comparison.

Tank pressure monitoring = wireless thermometer for your house
CCR controller = wireless router for your house
Lot more data in the controller. Add in a little life support function, wired is good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom