Shearwater Owners with AI, do you dive with a SPG?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ole Larson

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've had my an AI Shearwater computer, for a few years now (I'm knocking on wood), but have not really had any issues and am really considering ditching my SPG. I really like a very minimalistic kit and would love to get rid of it. How many Shearwater users have ditched the SPG?

Thanks,

Pete

PXL_20230810_112248890.jpg

The splitter was stupidly expensive when I did it. Piranha now has the block (different brand) at a reasonable price.

Dive with an SPG and the AI. Often times I’ll get messages about the connection being lost. Reckon if that happens with my SPG I’ve got bigger problems. I’ve also noted the AI is about 150-200 psi short of what my SPG (and a stand-alone gauge) read.

Having a simple SPG means no need to worry about battery failure of the transmitter or connection issues.

Really the reason I got AI was to put a transmitter on the reg my daughter uses so I can more easily keep an eye on her air, although the limited range means I do have to swim up close for a bit to get a reading.

To me AI is a nice luxury. It’s like satellite radio: kinda cool but really unnecessary, unless there is some niche reason to justify it.

Would encourage the search function. This is asked and debated at least twice a week.

Generally accepted conclusion: spare SPG on the boat, anything else is unnecessary or doesn’t actually add redundancy.
In all fairness, I routinely search key words that I know for a fact are in thread titles and content and get zero results. It's been happening for me for a few weeks. It's been very hit or miss because other searches seem to work okay.

Back
Top Bottom