Shearwater Perdix AI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Kevrumbo: I'm just curious. What instruments do you dive with? What are all the depth gauges you dive with? And what are all the timing devices you dive with? I'm assuming you dive with more than 1 of each of those, and I'm curious how many and what they all are. If it makes a difference, and you don't mind taking the time, please break it down by single tank recreational dives versus technical dives.

I am amazed the thread recently got off the track of why not implement GTR to account for all stops? That is a simple issue, really.

Instead, once again, the endless drone of "to AI or not to AI". Pointless.

I get why Shearwater did not go "the full monty" and try and implement GTR across all tanks. Very complex and big margin for user error. But, I think they might have gone just a little too conservative the other way by only giving you GTR to your reserve "on the bottom" and not on the surface after all stops.

Really? You're amazed? Hahahaha!! :rofl3::rofl3: You've been around here long enough to not even be mildly surprised. :wink:

Just for the record, I think you have just slightly mischaracterized the SW GTR implementation, as I understand it. I think GTR tells you time remaining, including your ascent, just not including any stops. I.e. if you start your ascent exactly when GTR hits 0, if you go directly to the surface, at 30 ft/min, you should arrive with exactly your reserve setting left. As soon as you incur any mandatory deco, the GTR display goes away (displays "---", I think?). So, the only discrepancy that you would actually see is when you have an optional stop (i.e. your safety stop). If you skip the safety stop, you'll hit the surface with the reserve you want. If you do the safety stop, you will hit the surface with less than the reserve you want (but only less by the actual amount you used during the safety stop - which is normally pretty small).

The change some of us want is simply to have it display GTR, even when you have deco, and always include all stops (mandatory and optional) that the computer is going to prompt for in its calculation.

I think you're right after looking at Shearwater's post. Still, I think you and I want the same thing.

I forgot the smiley after my "amazed" line, but here it is :cheers:

Unclip and avoid the neck-craning? That's what the clip is for.

Yeah, that's much simpler than looking at your wrist. Especially when you "forget" to factor in the "few hundred" dives of training your robotic arm. Go on, what else've you got? :popcorn:

. . . It's pretty darn practical to see cylinder pressure on your wrist instead of spending a lot of time developing muscle memory to make unclipping/reclipping an SPG effortless. It's pretty darn practical to have a computer tell you how much time you have left on your current cylinder as a confirmation to what you already figured in your head. It is the ESSENCE of practicality to be able to read your cylinder pressure while using both hands to hold a camera or do anything else that requires two hands.
But not at the expense of a wireless technology with signal glitches and drop-outs, even as momentary as you have claimed. See the following below. . .
Please provide data to backup your implicit assertion that modern AI, using current generation PPS transmitters, is not as reliable or more reliable than an analog SPG. My personal experience is that my AI has always worked, but I've had one SPG failure (the SPG unscrewed from the HP hose and blew an O-ring on the spool). I've seen posts from at least one person working at a shop that they see more SPG failures than AI failures. And I'm sure you can provide anecdotes in favor of SPGs. So, how about we both dispense with anecdotes and you give actual data to support your statement?. . .
Then you should engage all these posters past and present to provide actual data for both failure/non-failure and reliability of wireless AI. . . (Just the posting trend subject is telling enough for me):

Reliability Wireless gas pressure transmitters
Oceanic Datatrans (Pelagic Transmitters)
I've had it with wireless air integration
Air Integration and Back up gauges
analog vs digital gauge (SPG vs Air Integrated Dive Computer)
Will Air Integration in dive computers replace the SPG?
Air Integration Failure Yesterday
Vyper air fail
More problems with the Vyper Air transmitter
Air Integrated Dive Computers and SPG's
Why the dislike of air integrated computers?
Failure of Wireless Air Integrated COmputer and SPG
Air integrated computer and tec diving
Is Air Integration THAT important?
Which has a higher rate of failure a SPG or a transmitter?

Last edited:
You've posted the same damn list at least 3 times now, probably more. Why can't you just leave it alone. This is not religion, nobody is going to convert anyone else. Why is this so important to you? This thread quit being at all useful quite a while ago. Luckily, I have the luxury of waiting to see what Perdix AI becomes following all the feedback.

You've posted the same damn list at least 3 times now, probably more. Why can't you just leave it alone. This is not religion, nobody is going to convert anyone else. Why is this so important to you? This thread quit being at all useful quite a while ago. Luckily, I have the luxury of waiting to see what Perdix AI becomes following all the feedback.
Lol... there are numerous threads linked there that are 7-14 years old (only 4 that are 1 year or less old)... and if you actually read them, many do not support the case that AI is less reliable than SPG - they are just discussions on merit of one versus the other (and based on older AI tech)...

Yeah, that's much simpler than looking at your wrist. Especially when you "forget" to factor in the "few hundred" dives of training your robotic arm. Go on, what else've you got? :popcorn:

Then we shall have to agree to disagree. There are numerous things I need to do during the dive, some of which involve moving my head and looking, or manually reaching for something, and these are not things that I can automate on my wrist or would care to if it were possible. I am more than content doing them, as I consider them part of diving, and am continually striving to do them with still more fluidity. I am rather proud of the trained "robotic arm" and other accomplishments, and I consider a simple manual sequence of movements to read a simple mechanical gauge as simple as it gets. I should use your logic to tell my friend who rides a bicycle to work that driving a car would be "simpler." Despite having to navigate traffic and potholes and bear inclement weather, he enjoys the simplicity--as he sees it--of pedaling his machine. To each his own idea of "simplicity."

I am amazed the thread recently got off the track of why not implement GTR to account for all stops? . . .

Nobody disagreed with that suggestion, as far as I saw. It could have been a short thread indeed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom