Shearwater Petrel - w/ or w/o Fischer connector?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JK

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Informed opinions?

Preparing to go CCR, primarily for wreck diving, mostly temperate aqnd warm water.
Almost certain to upgrade my 12 year old DC to a Shearwater Petrel.
Does anyone with experience have some thoughts as to whether I am likely to regret buying the Petrel standalone when the Fischer connector is available but for a $500 (50%) price bump? I am not in a postion yet to judge the value and usefulness of the Fischer model.
Just saw the Shearwaters, the Liquivisions and the DiveRites as DEMA in Orlando this last weekend, as well as a surprising number of CZ hustlers....(yeah, gratuitous ethnic reference, I apologize in advance of your objections and claim partial immunity per my own Polish/Croat/Slav family tree, but you should have been there...).
Thanks for your input.

JKDiver
PADI Instructor

If you go down the CCR route, I would opt for the connector. Do you have a CCR preference?

Some people just like diving a display on their CCRs and other prefer to plug right into a dive computer so they can monitor the cells and decompression. Either works well. I have one rebreather that is wired with just a display and a few others that have Fischer connectors. Personally, I would always opt for the Fischer connector because it provides you with the most options. It's nice to have everything displayed on one screen rather than having to look at different screens. It's also nice to have a backup to your dive plan right there on the dive computer.

I sold my S/A when I got a rebreather. IMO, go with the Fisher unless your rebreather of choice has a Petrel hardwired in. And even then, I'd probably still get a Fisher connector. I'm looking for a second rebreather now. I'm not sure what kind I'll go with, but thankfully I have the flexibility of having a Fisher Connector when I make my choice.

Not yet. My usual practice is a lot of reading first, narrow the field and then take a final look at the choices and then acquire. Ended up with my 2008 Nissan XTerra that way and it still checks all the boxes with some minor improvements made.

---------- Post added November 15th, 2013 at 11:26 PM ----------

Great responses. I kind of suspected the right answer for the right reasons but I much prefer to hear it from experienced divers already using CCR.

Thank you!

Go with the fischer connector. You can always run the fischer as a stand alone but you can't run the stand alone connected. Tony and I both have one hardwired SW and one fisher. So we have two computers connected running cell info, an live deco. You just have more options with a fischer. There have been times when he has lent his fischer to a student and then just connects mine to have a second computer. There is a tight little group of rEvo divers here on the south florida area and i believe we are all runny pretty much the same config. One hardwired, one fischer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom