Shearwater Teric Surface Interval

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mcohen1021

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Been researching online and looked through the Teric manual, but can't find the answer.

Does anyone know how the surface interval on the Teric works?

Specifically, why doesn't the surface interval on the watch match the date of my last dive?

Right now my SI shows 23 minutes... what affect if any will this have if I was about to do a dive?

Thanks everyone

Attachments

• 20240121_230136.jpg
    20240121_230136.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 39
Last dive shows 0 ft... 0 minutes ...

Attachments

• 20240121_230855.jpg
    20240121_230855.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 34
Specifically, why doesn't the surface interval on the watch match the date of my last dive?

Right now my SI shows 23 minutes... what affect if any will this have if I was about to do a dive?
I don't have a Teric, but I would expect it to behave similar to my Perdix. The SI on my Perdix does align with the last time I dove with the Perdix. I was going to suggest that your Teric believes it went on a dive without you.
Last dive shows 0 ft... 0 minutes ...
That's truly strange. I would expect that a dive wouldn't really be initiated and logged until it actually saw a depth. I'd be contacting Shearwater and/or Divetronix.

Regarding effect on subsequent dives. Possibly none depending on what the tissue loading looks like. If it's all at base levels, then NDL would be unaffected. Still something seems off.

If the pressure sensor is busted (giving rise to that phantom dive), its guidance on a real dive could be nonsense. Testable if you have a backup, but I think contacting Divetronix should be the next step.

So i just got off the phone with shearwater customer service.

When I hear back, I will post up. Should be today.

In a nutshell, it currently says my surface interval is ~14 hrs (should be 180 days). The last dive on the computer was July 27 2023 (same on the phone software).

My main question on this really is if the PC thinks I have residual nitrogen. Mind you, it shouldnt matter since I am not diving until this Saturday but what if I was diving today...?

So i just got off the phone with shearwater customer service.

When I hear back, I will post up. Should be today.

In a nutshell, it currently says my surface interval is ~14 hrs (should be 180 days). The last dive on the computer was July 27 2023 (same on the phone software).

My main question on this really is if the PC thinks I have residual nitrogen. Mind you, it shouldnt matter since I am not diving until this Saturday but what if I was diving today...?
Since the likelihood is a failed pressure sensor, I would not dive with it.
Ask DiveTronix if they can get a loaner to you.

I believe if there is a tissue reset then the last dive is set to when the happened.

I believe if there is a tissue reset then the last dive is set to when the happened.
Yes, I believe you are correct. This could also occur after a Firmware update, or presumably, if the battery got too low. However, that dive to 0.0' is a strange one. Never saw that happen after either a firmware update, or when doing a tissue reset.

This could also occur after a Firmware update, or presumably, if the battery got too low

This is what they are telling me, the battery got too low.

I DID DO a firmware update last night, hoping that would fix the SI issue, but instead reset it back to 0.

They told me the date / time would have also been off, so that had me confused too. I will cut and paste my exchange w them shortly

right now they have me doing a battery test: AI off, Compass off, charge to 100% and turn the unit off. They want to know what % I am at at 48 hrs. We wont know until around this time Wednesday.

Customer Support Rep (Shearwater Research) Jan 22, 2024, 11:38 PST

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your call with questions about the surface interval reset on your and your wife's Teric computers.

I have shared this with our Firmware team.

Please rest assured that this is normal. The reason is because firmware update reset decompression tissues from the previous dive therefore it start counting a new surface interval. For this reason we strongly advise against updating firmware between the dives and/or plan repetitive dives accordingly.

Here is some additional information about the Teric battery. Lithium-ion batteries, such as the one in the Teric, can be damaged if completely discharged. The Teric has internal protection which disconnects the battery before complete discharge occurs. However, a small amount of self-discharge still occurs, which can lead to complete discharge and subsequently battery damage if stored for long periods without recharging.

To prevent damage to the battery please do the following:
1) Fully charge the Teric prior to storage

2) Top up the Teric battery every 6 months.

Here is the battery test I mentioned.
-Turn off compass and AI features in Dive mode
-Charge Teric to 100%
-Remove Teric from the charger and turn it off
-Leave Teric off for 48 hours
-Check the battery % and let us know

Please let me know if you have any questions.

=============

Jan 22, 2024, 11:41 PST

Thank you for the fast reply, but the surface interval issue was present prior to the firmware update.

I was expecting a surface interval of around 180 days.

Mark

=====================

On 1/22/2024 1:38 PM, Trisha Stovel wrote:

Please rest assured that this is normal. The reason is because firmware update reset decompression tissues from the previous dive therefore it start counting a new surface interval. For this reason we strongly advise against updating firmware between the dives and/or plan repetitive dives accordingly.

====================

Customer Support Rep (Shearwater Research)
Jan 22, 2024, 11:55 PST

Hi Mark,

You're welcome, and thank you for pointing that out again.

I can confirm that because there are no "ghost dives" in the log of these computers, and you mentioned that they have fully drained their battery during a period of storage, this would be the cause of the SI reset.

A drained battery will reset date and time as well as reset the surface interval.

Please let me know if there is anything else I may have missed and if you have any further questions.

Best,

=========================

Thanks.

I have turned off the AI and compass off on both PCs and they are at ~84%, so should be 100% soon and the 48 hr test will begin this afternoon.

With regard to the SI reset. I was with you until you said the date / time would also reset. They did not reset, they are both accurate - date and time wise.

Mark

==================

Customer Support Rep (Shearwater Research)
Jan 22, 2024, 12:30 PST

Hi Mark,

I should have mentioned this. The date and time updates on its own when the Firmware Update was completed, so you may not have noticed.

We'll wait for the Teric battery test results.

Best,

Back
Top Bottom