sherwood or mares

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RYCO

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
so ive got a sherwood maximus and a mares proton xl. and a sherwood and mares 1 stage. which one is better? i want to sale one set but i dont know which one is better. neither is new, as far as i know. probably a year or 2 model old.

thats a hard one but i would go with mares this time....

I will let the sherwood go. .Mares just so much better. .
Good luck with your choice. .

Live to dive and dive to live. . . . :burnout:

I use a sherwood 1st stage with the OTS Guardian FFM. The last dive I did, in a river with 32 degree water temp, my first stage was encased in 1/8 of ice, and yet NO free flow. All other divers in the water had free flow problems.

IMG_2581.jpg

Keep the Sherwood and sell the Mares. Sherwoods are solid regs. Parts for Mares are getting hard to come by for some reason, never a problem with Sherwood.

Keep the Mares, it's a better reg and they don't have any parts issues.

Keep the Sherwood. I've been diving my Oasis for years - NEVER has it had any problems.

Here is a novel idea: Dive each of them, see which you prefer. :D

In other words, there is no right or wrong answer here (and I'm speaking as a guy owns 6 Mares regs :wink: ).

Sherwoods are known for rock-solid reliability... but slightly less performance. Mares has been around for a long time and their designs are well established good-performers, but until a few years ago had some issues with the longevity of the high pressure seat in the 1st stage (to be fair, other brands have also wrestled with this same problem in some of their models). Mares solved that problem with the new Tri-material poppet released a couple years ago, which is available as an upgrade kit (and can be ordered online) for their older and current Mares diaphragm regs.

FYI: I service my own, and I've had no problem obtaining service kits for Proton 2nds, and MR-12, MR-22 1sts this past year, including the upgraded high pressure poppet. Not sure what 1st stage you have (but the Proton XL 2nd makes me suspect a MR-12 1st).

Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom