Shooting cobia off Bull Sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's pushing it.
Down here you'd land 1 out of ??????????????

And you'd be real lucky to not go for a ride lineshafting

I think thy're using a float line as well, and drop the gun as soon as the shot's off.

From real life experince (diving/spearfishing) 3 - 4 times a week I can tell you that shooting fish around Bullsharks is gambling. Here in the Keys they are called "the taxman". They follow you and when they feel like it will grab a fish (regardless of size). Proof being the h&L guys lose Tarpon in excess of 100lbs. to Bulls at the bridge daily May & June.
We do hunt when they are around, keeping very aware of them. Always knowing you may have to swim on your back, lay on the bottom, swim real close to a wreck to keep them out in front or shoot in self defense. As i've previoulsy said alot of us here freeshaft so going for a ride or losing a gun is out of the equation.

From real life experince (diving/spearfishing) 3 - 4 times a week I can tell you that shooting fish around Bullsharks is gambling. Here in the Keys they are called "the taxman". They follow you and when they feel like it will grab a fish (regardless of size). Proof being the h&L guys lose Tarpon in excess of 100lbs. to Bulls at the bridge daily May & June.
We do hunt when they are around, keeping very aware of them. Always knowing you may have to swim on your back, lay on the bottom, swim real close to a wreck to keep them out in front or shoot in self defense. As i've previoulsy said alot of us here freeshaft so going for a ride or losing a gun is out of the equation.

Got it. We have the same thing up here, sharks that make a living off of spearos. I'm not sure if they even hunt on their own anymore. I was just pointing out that the fishermen in the video looked like they were using float lines to take going for a ride or loosing a gun out of the equation.

Howdy, what bridges in the keys? I fished tarpon the two by fiesta key (channels 2/5?)?

I hear that the team that was shooting the cobes also wear a shark suit. Not sure if true though. I am new to diving/hunting so I have a lot of things (i.e. stare them in eye, punch the nose, etc.).

I have seen all of the Shark Tales videos and read lots of their discussions. Definitely no "shark suits" for these guys, just really good shooting and buddy work. I haven't gotten a Cobia this year because I choose not to shoot them off the sharks but that is the most common place to find them. I did see a big one swimming with a stingray a couple weeks ago and missed a point blank shot.
What you see in some of the videos are the guys sending fish and sometimes all of their gear if tangled up on a liftbag. This allows the people in the boat to pick up the fish and get them out of the water ASAP. Sharks in the Palm Beach/Jupiter area have been very aggressive this year. These guys also dive quite deep. Doing deco stops with dead fish and Bull sharks can't be fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom