Shooting Triggers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Triggers are great to eat. I've been dining on them for years. Easiest and best way to clean is to skin each side off in one piece then fillet the whole side. Nice white meat.

Like hogfish, they are very good tasting white meat. If you see them on a menu it's $$$$

Have to agree, Triggerfish are tough, oily, muddy flavour fish.
I could think of no good reason to eat them, or kill them for that matter, unless you were being attacked. There are plenty of other fish that would rate a better meal than triggers.

As a chef, I would rate them on a scale of eatability hhhmmmm a 1 out of 5.
Jeezzz I would prefer to eat Barracudda and deal with all the bones, at least the flesh is sweet.

:classic::dork:

Sarcasm hopefully...

Gulf rules are 14" to the fork, don't know about Atlantic. But they are tasty, as stated previously string them through the mouth or they will take a chunk out of a sensitive spot. I think more spearfishermen are scared about getting bit by a trigger than a shark.

Best tasting fish!!!!! Personal favorite as far as fish goes. Atlantic 12" to the fork.

I shot 11.5 lb trigger in the Marquesas, that thing was a beast

Attachments

• Trigger2.jpg
    Trigger2.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 47
Triggerfish are delicious. Definitely string'em through the gills and out the mouth or you WILL get bit.

I use a box knife to cut the skin around the perimeter, and then pull the skin off before slicing the filets. The skin comes off easy once you've cut around it.

If you question the edibility of triggerfish then search spearboard.com or spearfishingplanet.com - you'll have no doubt after your search.

They are a good fish for a beginner to shoot. The wrecks we go to around here they swim up to you and you can reach out and grab them. But watch out they bite.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom