Shopping for affordable Setup: Research Attached

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gamefe

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Linked is the spreadsheet of GoPro 11 setups from $350 with no lights to $1600 dual light of 9200 lumens from a brand name. Some fancy brands and other cheap amazon brands. all prices include a GoPro 11.

I dive about 1-2 times a year on holiday, usually to something tropical and reefy. I don't want to spend a lot but I don't want to waste money on gear that doesn't really do anything. I have no expectations that I am about to be a National Geographic photographer with some kit. I last used a Gopro 3 with no lens or anything and the results were... not really worth it. Maybe 30 seconds worth sharing across 9 dives on the Great Barrier Reef. So I want to do better than that.

I am sure there is a difference between brands and "it says x lumens but don't trust it" probably applies to some of this. But I don't know.

I am currently trying to decide between three options; A: No lights just a backscatter red filter and macrolense for $510, B: Single NVS60 light with a knock off filter set for $520 or C: $960 for 12000 lumen two light setup around the DiveRig Sea60.

Anyone have opinions on these options? Did I misunderstand something? Choose crap? Miss a brand, make or setup that the rest of community knows and I am oblivious to?

No lights for airline travel.

Just the widest tray Backscatter sells. 2 clamps, a bolt snap, and a single 12" float across the top.

I think my tray is a 14" wide Ultralight, and two Ultralight handles.

Save the big rigs for local, and car diving.

You don’t need lights for tropical diving in warm sunshine locations TBH. I dive without any and my videos look just fine. Except for those rare cloudy overcast days you won’t miss them at all… save yourself the money and excess baggage …

You don’t need lights for tropical diving in warm sunshine locations TBH. I dive without any and my videos look just fine. Except for those rare cloudy overcast days you won’t miss them at all… save yourself the money and excess baggage …
Does it change for night dives or a focus on macro?

No lights for airline travel.

Just the widest tray Backscatter sells. 2 clamps, a bolt snap, and a single 12" float across the top.

I think my tray is a 14" wide Ultralight, and two Ultralight handles.

Save the big rigs for local, and car diving.

A single float across the top? I am not sure I understand what that means. Is that to mean attaching something positively buoyant or is that a special kind of equipment?

1000008766.jpg

Like this, but use the cheaper floatier (and adjustable) Backscatter Stix with jumbo floats.

That float arm won't float this camera, but still helps.

This camera uses a Backscatter Stix Jumbo float in the center, and two floodable Kraken float arms:

1000008767.jpg

Obviously way too heavy to travel with. 7+ pounds before adding lights or strobes. But great for any dive I drive to.

Does it change for night dives or a focus on macro?
There are threads on this forum about bright video lights and night diving etiquette. Hope you will learn something from it.

Meh. Nobody has light etiquette on twilight dives.

If everyone stays out of the frame, and spreads out, no big deal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom