Shore diving exiting water help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pink_AquaRanger

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've been trying to do more shore diving, but I'm struggling getting out of the water effectively. My buddies and I dive a lot in Redondo beach where there's about a foot to two foot step in the shallower end of the water. Unlike my buddies, I can't feel the ocean floor until right before this step. My buddies are able to stand in the water take off their fins and walk right out. But for me where I can stand, it's right where the waves like to break. When the waves are larger I end up getting tossed around getting beached like a whale and struggling to get upright while I wait for someone to help.

If I decide to take my fins off before that, I can't swim very effectively in the waves. I've tried just backing out of the ocean with my fins on, and sometimes that works, but I'm def less agile and have on one occasion been pushed over, which brings me back to square one.

I make sure to deflate my BCD and I have my mask and regulator in my mouth. But does anyone have tips on how to exit more gracefully? Would love to get to a point where I am more self sufficient and less reliant on my friends.

At Redondo I have good success with walking out backwards with fins on, timing so that a wave helps me up that step. A front crawl with reg in mouth works fine.

Unless the surf is very calm I'd prefer to keep the fins on so I can walk or crawl out with my hands free.

Also I keep a little air in the BCD so that I can ride the wave out.

If the tip above doesn't work for you, you might try exiting near the Topaz Jetty a short way south of the stairs. The jetty changes the wave action or the way the sand builds up, and there's usually a more gradually sloping bottom down there. The downside is that it's a longer haul back up to the stairs.

Occasionally, I've been known to crawl out on my hands and knees.

The famous Redondo Step! There are a few ways to exit safely. They don't always work. As Still Kicking said, try exiting south, or close to the pier. The step isn't as pronounced in those spots. If the waves are more than two feet it's helpful to fill your BC, crouch down at the step and let the next wave lift you out. I always remove my fins as soon as I can walk, but I have also lost fins there.

I almost always take my fins off when exiting the water. I do however use this (link #1) to hold my fins for both entry and exit. it has 2 loops, one for each fin. Works perfectly for all my beach diving. this allows the user to exit the water with hands free for helping other or themselves while exiting.

link #1

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom