Diving with a Bad Back

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For my last dive trip I couldn't twist in certain ways and I had to get the crew or a fellow diver to strap up my left fin lol. Everything else was okay. Felt pathetic but like you said, swallow your pride and ask for help. Maybe you can return the favor for someone else on another occasion.

For my last dive trip I couldn't twist in certain ways and I had to get the crew or a fellow diver to strap up my left fin lol. Everything else was okay. Felt pathetic but like you said, swallow your pride and ask for help. Maybe you can return the favor for someone else on another occasion.
We call that move "the otter". You lay on your back with a puffed up drysuit and wing while your buddy puts your fins on. Lol

Just a thought....... but have you thought about trying some of the natural solutions for pain management..... ......like Cannabis.......?
Doobie doobie do (in my best Sinatra voice)...no, I'm not quite there yet. But I wouldn't disallow it.

Try swiming in a pool with wearing no gear then some gear and finally all the gear . If possible try this in open water , this should prepare you for the real dive .

Try swiming in a pool with wearing no gear then some gear and finally all the gear . If possible try this in open water , this should prepare you for the real dive .
I like that idea! Unfortunately, my local pool doesn’t allow any scuba gear anytime whatsoever. I’d like to get the local divers together and change that policy so we can get time set aside.

I like that idea! Unfortunately, my local pool doesn’t allow any scuba gear anytime whatsoever. I’d like to get the local divers together and change that policy so we can get time set aside.
A lot of pools have rules for open use times and for private events. If you rent out the pool you may be able to use it for that. A lot of pools around here do that.

I asked the rec center director why they don’t allow scuba in the pool. He said that it was because his lifeguards were not trained to handle diver rescues. I haven’t pursued it much.

When my wife and I wanted to do a check-out dive, we contacted a local dive shop.

They let us know when one of their open water classes was going to be using the pool, and if we rented our tanks from them, they would allow us to use the pool simultaneously.

I asked the rec center director why they don’t allow scuba in the pool. He said that it was because his lifeguards were not trained to handle diver rescues. I haven’t pursued it much.
The bigger issue is there is no way for the lifeguard to know if a rescue is needed, yet the pool will still have a liability risk. Back when I was a lifeguard at a pool we would have scuba classes occasionally. But only after hours and they had to have an instructor on the deck to monitor everything. In theory the lifeguards were there to do rescues, but we all understood that we would only be assisting if there was a problem.

Back
Top Bottom