Shore diving in "The Brac"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billmosel

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm a Bonaire shore diver and I love it. Now My wife and I are going to Cayman Brac and have heard that there can be some fairly good shore diving there. I'm looking for suggestions, places we should do, the easiest and hardest entries, and anything else that will make our first
trip to the brac memorable.
Thanks,
Bill

Here's my increasingly dated (2001) Cayman Brac Shorediving page...

Cayman Brac Shore Diving

There's also now a group of locals who have a Brac Shorediving page on Facebook ... you can hit them up for the latest news, as well as possibly meet up with them for a dive during your stay. One of the things that they've done within the past year is to paint up some rocks to mark sites (like Bonaire has) ... main difference is that said markers are blood red instead of yellow.

In general, I think that what you'll mostly find that the Brac's shore entry/exit sites are basically only convenient for getting out to the spur/groove reefs. The drop-off is a bit further offshore and I'd consider it to be a "long swim", particularly when the diveboats drop you off right there with basically zero effort (okay, some "effort" on your wallet ;-).

BTW, since I see that you're in Rockaway, I'll try to stop by Elite Divers this weekend during their BBQ and I can verbally give you a lot more ... just ask the shop owner (Dennis) if I'm there ... I had dived with him this past Spring on the Brac (it was his first trip ... and my 25th year).

-Hugh (aka "-hh")

Easy dives are Buccaneer, Green House, Scott's, Radar, Public beach, and the little mini wall east of the freight dock. Short swims in calm water. Someone has put rocks per Bonaire to locate the spots. Actually any place you choose you will find a nice spot. The beach line is crown property and open to anyone. Park where permissible and bring a flag. There is a Brac Shore Dive Facebook page that has some info. The south east walls are spectacular and IMO are the best in the Caymans, rough entry and an athletic exit over iron shore are required. It is worth the trouble. Northeast dives at Burts Boulders, and further east are always fun and usually something interesting is found. It's and easy entry from a cut out after the boat launch(Soot Bay). Weather permitting of course.

As always bring the hiking gear. The cliffs behind Spot Bay are some of the prettiest rock climbs in the world. With zero crime, safe diving and a chamber, Brac is best. They have endemic birds, reptiles and plants found nowhere else in the world. I still like the snorkeling around the docks at west end in the shallows, everything from baby turtles and octopus to rays and sharks. There are even supposed to be seahorses but I have yet to find one. Everybody is friendly, so ask if you have questions.

Stay safe and hopefully the winds stay down so you can dive the whole island. Cheers

I've only once found a seahorse, it was at shallow site in Spot Bay. I think it was called the Brothers reef? It was nice size, a yellow one, no camera :>(

Too lazy to shoredive and besides with a 12yr old it's 2x the work for dad. Besides having a diveboat to oneself for our last week was too good (Brac Scuba Shack)

I will admit diving from the Scuba Shack boats was a treat. Still like the adventure of throwing the gear on and finding a new secret spot, if only in my own mind. Love the Brac and the people who live there.

It's nice to know there are seahorses, I will continue the search. After that, I will begin the search for the 2 species of Pygmy Angels that were identified in the Caymans . I lead a simple life. Cheers

I've only once found a seahorse, it was at shallow site in Spot Bay. I think it was called the Brothers reef? It was nice size, a yellow one, no camera :>(

There's been occasional seahorse sightings. I think I've seen one on a dive, plus two more while standing around on the concrete dock at Reef Divers that they're tying the diveboats up to these days. Supposedly, due to the prevailing east-to-west current, they're tiny went found up-island and fairly big by the time they get down to Airport, then they're gone (into the blue).

That site in Spot Bay, was probably "Bert Brothers Boulders". Reef dive with hardpan on the inside, with a lumpy/bouldery section of reef on the dropoff to probably 60fsw+...I don't really remember it being a particularly "large" site with long spur/grooves (such as Snapper), but its been a loooong time since I've been there.

Back to shore diving, +1 on needing a dive flag, as it is occasionally enforced, and general note on windward/leeward of the island: except in the winter, the northside is generally the lee, so sites like Public Beach are off-limits unless it is oil slick calm on the southside. Ditto probably also for the Prince Frederick Wreck (off the 'Bubble House') and I'm also been told by BJ that the boatramp at Goat Head's Bay (south side, by the eastern cross-island road) was "infested" with scorpionfish ... BJ wears full heel fins, so he considered that to be a distinct disadvantage.

-hh

HH thanks that will be great.. we did our OW with them some years ago with Nick. My wife Carol will be there looking for you as I will be working. Cute redhead. Let me know if you will be there

Too lazy to shoredive and besides with a 12yr old it's 2x the work for dad. Besides having a diveboat to oneself for our last week was too good (Brac Scuba Shack)

I presume that Roxy is still at Scuba Shack. She is excellent with kids--and adults too.

We did the first few days with her and Martin but then she left as did Phil did the week before we arrived. On one dive she was lionfish hunting when a reefie kept appearing, it took me a while before I realized why she cleared out (as far as she could but still keep us in sight) as the shark kept appearing - looking for lunch. The DM's on LC sure messed that up, feed the groupers! my son had many a pet grouper. I'm sure she didn't have anywhere as much fun on that dive as us! I do have footage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom