shore diving morehead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

foneguy

Contributor
Reaction score
sounds crazy with all the fabulous wrecks but ill have an extra few hrs and enoough air for my bro. and I, but is there such a place that anybody knows of to get a shore dive or 2 around morehead city, atlantic beach area? :06: :06:

foneguy:
sounds crazy with all the fabulous wrecks but ill have an extra few hrs and enoough air for my bro. and I, but is there such a place that anybody knows of to get a shore dive or 2 around morehead city, atlantic beach area? :06: :06:

I would love to know the answer to this too, as I'll be there the first week of August and shore diving would allow me to dive a whole lot more...

Radio Island Rock Jetty will be about the best you'll find. 15'viz is great here with it usually being around 3-6'. Max depth 30'. A few flounder, lots of stone crabs, a few tropicals this time of year. Make sure you dive it at SLACK TIDE, with high being the prefered one. The current rips through there pretty good any other time.

The RR tressel at the High rise is diveable, not much to see, if you CAN see, but if flounder is what you're after, that's usually good at night.

I'll be at RIRJ in the morning grabbing some stone crabs for dinner and will give you a report tommorrow

UPDATE: Nice day at Radio Island. 10-15'viz until the tide started back out. Got a few stone crabs and saw tons more. Again, if you plan to dive this or the tressel, you must dive it at slack tide. High is best as the ocean is pushing its clearer water inshore but it can be done at low as well, usually with considerably reduced viz. You can generally get about an hour or so out of it before it starts running too fast. I'd check with one of the local dive shops as I think Discovery Diving does their student dives there and can probally give you more recent updates. Happy Diving.

outstanding ill be sure to check things when i arrive,,,,,8 more days!!!! what are the water temps at depth right now ? do you know? we will be with olympus for a 1/2 day fri the 22nd? thank you for all the info, also if you want a 2 dive buddies the week of july 18 - 22nd just send a private message and ill give u my cell while we are down there. wouldn't mind getting some crab for dinner 1 night....scott

ibnygator:
I would love to know the answer to this too, as I'll be there the first week of August and shore diving would allow me to dive a whole lot more...

We will just be missing one another, and I'll be needing a dive buddy too! I'll be vacationing at Atlantic Beach the third week in August and want to dive the jetty as well. I'm going to also try and get on one of the boats for a wreck dive.

Mel

I'm gonna be down at Emeral Isle 14-17th, and have dove the RIRJ serveral times. I'm gonna have access to a boat, nothing i'd take far out. But was wondering if anyone knows of any other good places to dive that may be out further or anywhere along Beuford inlet or near by, may be going out taylors creek. The boat is an 18ft privateer, flat bottom.

Visibility is not an issue

jimmac:
The boat is an 18ft privateer, flat bottom.

Good luck with that. I've got a 23' ft. Sea Hunt V hull and havn't even gotten out of the inlet yet. It seems that every time I want to dive the seas act up. Mainly on weekends though. For the past month it has been a nice 2-3 ft. seas for Sunday night through thursday night but as soon as Friday comes you can expect 3-5 or bigger. But I guess a bad beginning leads to a good ending huh?!!!!

suthnbelle:
We will just be missing one another, and I'll be needing a dive buddy too! I'll be vacationing at Atlantic Beach the third week in August and want to dive the jetty as well. I'm going to also try and get on one of the boats for a wreck dive. Mel
That's too bad. I have a feeling that once I get a taste of diving off North Carolina I'll be driving down from New York to do it again so, maybe next time.

Yeah, well I don't go out of the inlet but I know theres alot of boat activity in the inlet and thought maybe there'd be some small sunket boats or something to play around at. I think there's another jetty somewhere.

Visibility is not an issue

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom