Short fin for older diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

David Wilson:
>She *hates* a lot of the modern fins. She doesn't like the extra length. <

And as a 57-year-old, I agree with her! I love nothing more than a leisurely bit of snorkelling with the all-rubber full-foot style of fins I wore in the 1960s and 1970s. Many of the manuals of that period have photographs of female scuba divers in wetsuits wearing Cressi Rondines and other relatively short-bladed full-foot fins, so don't force your mother into heelstrap fins if she's not keen! DACOR's full-foot all-rubber Corda fins are still on sale after many decades - see www.kiefer.com, and there are plenty of similar models around, some costing just $20-$30 from other swimming gear suppliers - just click on the "training equipment" button on their websites.
Geez, I forgot about the Dacor Corda, been around for 6000 years and I don't believe it has changed. He says many decades, i would venture to say, centuries. :wink: Good point David.

My wife and I each have Aeris Velocities in the open heel version and like them. The LDS mentioned they were not a terribly agresive fin but nice. Some of the magazines also rated them highly a while back. We go snorkeling for an hour or 2 at a time and they don't wear us out but we can make them go if we want to.

http://www.diveaeris.com/Product.cfm?PL=fin&SL=VLF

Pete

Ishie:
The general make of fin she likes (and used back in the late 70s) resembles those they sell at Wal-Mart. Short and simple. I was wondering if anyone had recommendations on a Scuba-quality open heel fin that's along the basic lines?

Why not try the fins sold at Wal-Mart? :06: I have seen posts around here where their favorite mask is in the "cheap kit" from US Divers.

David Wilson:
>She *hates* a lot of the modern fins. She doesn't like the extra length. <

And as a 57-year-old, I agree with her! I love nothing more than a leisurely bit of snorkelling with the all-rubber full-foot style of fins I wore in the 1960s and 1970s. Many of the manuals of that period have photographs of female scuba divers in wetsuits wearing Cressi Rondines and other relatively short-bladed full-foot fins, so don't force your mother into heelstrap fins if she's not keen! DACOR's full-foot all-rubber Corda fins are still on sale after many decades - see www.kiefer.com, and there are plenty of similar models around, some costing just $20-$30 from other swimming gear suppliers - just click on the "training equipment" button on their websites.

Thank you for the advise. Oh, and not trying to force her into heelstrap fins. I dive Monterey (and have been to Lake Tahoe once now) and almost all of her previous diving was in Monterey (except for a few trips to Cozumel and the Caymans) so she wore booties she adored (no idea what kind) and open heel fins.

Of course, after taking care of the fins, then we get around to the hatred of these stiff relentless gloves. She had the perfect pair and likes to make fun of my 3mm Body Gloves.

Ishie

Back
Top Bottom