Short, low altitude flights after diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bagheera

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
In two weeks, I'm going to drive to La Ceiba, Honduras and catch a flight to Utila. I'll dive for a few days, then fly back to La Ceiba.

I really want to dive the day before I fly. I know it's a no-no to go on a passenger jet less than 48 hours after diving. And I know I'm probably going to get the same answer regarding short flights, but I'm going to ask anyway: Is it safe to take a short, 30-minute flight that only goes a few hundred feet off the ground 24 hours after diving?

Quantify "a few hundred feet".

I thought you it was only 24 hours you had to wait before flying. Damn, I went to cozumel did a deep dive of about 115' and then flew back to florida 24 hours later. That was 4-5 months ago, and I'm still fine.

Most dive agencies teach that 24 hours after diving is a safe rule of thumb. Less (18 hrs) is proscribed after single dives; multiple dives across multiple days gets a 24 hr break though.

Bagheera:
Is it safe to take a short, 30-minute flight that only goes a few hundred feet off the ground 24 hours after diving?
As long as you were not bent before the flight, 24 hours should be enough. Minimizing nitrogen loading on the last dive by staying shallow or using EAN or some combination of the two would help you hedge your bet.

Don Burke:
...Minimizing nitrogen loading on the last dive by staying shallow or using EAN or some combination of the two would help you hedge your bet.
When thinking about the tissue groups that saturate and off-gas most quickly, those nice long, relaxing shallow dives aren't necessarily the best plan of action prior to a flight.

MB:
When thinking about the tissue groups that saturate and off-gas most quickly, those nice long, relaxing shallow dives aren't necessarily the best plan of action prior to a flight.
Even followed by a 24 hour surface interval?

What tables are _you_ working off of?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom