Shortening a LP inflator hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is not worth the risk. A LP hose failure will drain a full tank in less than 2 minutes...so a failure toward the end of the dive means risking not enough air to get to the surface, even if you start up immediately. It doesn't matter that the probability of failure is low; the consequeneces of failure are so high that the risk is not worth taking.

If you actually tried the Omni Swivel fitting on your hose, you would be less concerned. When I compare the barbs and crimps on many imported hoses with the OmniSwivel repair, the hand-screwed fitting is actually more secure.

But @Tracy has a point. While relative Intermediate Pressure remains the same as you descend to great depth, absolute Intermediate pressure inside the hose rises significantly. Thus, your hoses become quite stiff and at risk for fracture at the flex point of the barb. Omni-Swivel or regular, don't yank on your hoses at great depth. If the Omni-Swivel barb is significantly larger than your particular hose ID, you might create a stress point. In that case, I'd agree that it's a risk. But otherwise, I have several Atomic Comfort Swivel houses that I've modified to be "perfect" necklace length with that fitting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom