Should I buy an older pony bottle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to own a 14 cu ft Catalina with a 2015 psi servcie pressure. They are not bad tanks and with 2015 service pressure you can top them off with a transfil whip from your primary tank. They also work well with argon where 2200 psi is about all you can get in a K bottle.

One thing about Catalina tanks is that they never used 6351 alloy so all of them are made from 6061 redardless of age and are not subject to sustained load cracks like 6351 tanks.

here she is. 30 cuft alu pony with a scubapro mk2/r190 reg set. Gotta tester her out tomorrow.
PICT0004.jpg

Good decision on getting the larger bottle.

I was initially considering ergonomics when I wanted to go with the smaller 19, but several people have told me that a pony slung under the arm is hardly noticeable no matter what size it is, so I went with the much more functional 30, which really wasn’t much more expensive.
Sounds like you have decided against the 14. Good call, not because of age, but size. I dive some AL80 doubles for which the first hydro date was 1989, and they are fine. But, if you search for the 'most regretted purchases' thread on SB you will find smaller pony bottle frequently mentioned, and the 14 qualifies as 'smaller'. If you can get a used 14 cf for $25, fine. Anything above that is a waste of money. If you want a pony, go with a 30 or 40 cf, and I strongly suggest the latter. Slinging them under an arm is hardly noticeable, they are light and easily accessible if you need them.

here she is. 30 cuft alu pony with a scubapro mk2/r190 reg set. Gotta tester her out tomorrow.
PICT0004.jpg

You've taken a big step to safer diving!

I tried it out yesterday. I felt kinda silly because we were only doing some navigation practicing in a little inlet, and I only found about 18 feet of depth. I don't think the pony was necessary haha. Either way, you're right, I could hardly tell it was there. The regulator breaths nicely too, atleast in shallow water. Makes me wonder if I really needed to pay almost three times as much for the SP MK25/S600 that I use as for my main reg set.

Hi all
I am contemplating weather or not to buy an older pony bottle from a club member. I would like to have my own pony for an ice diving course that is coming up. it is a 19 cuft aluminum bottle that was hydro'd in june 07. my only concern is it is only rated to 2015 psi while most new bottles of the same size (so my dive shot owner tells me) are rated to 3000. what do ya'll think?

Hi buddy i am from nova scotia and i have alot of ice diving, i have ponys and they are small and only used to get me from the bottom to the surface in one smooth action, anything else you should consider another tank. If you are taking an ice diving course what i would recommend is twin independants 80,s should work. always go out with the intentions of treturning on your first tank, dont switch, but 3 feet out test all eqip and then proceed, if you ever need that extra tank, consider yourself as you did something wrong. keep in mind that it is a foolish diver who tests the depth of the water with both feet.....i used to be on a water rescue team for 2 years for a firedept...when it comes to ice diving, backup everything, get a tank not a pony

I used to own a 14 cu ft Catalina with a 2015 psi servcie pressure. They are not bad tanks and with 2015 service pressure you can top them off with a transfil whip from your primary tank. They also work well with argon where 2200 psi is about all you can get in a K bottle.

One thing about Catalina tanks is that they never used 6351 alloy so all of them are made from 6061 redardless of age and are not subject to sustained load cracks like 6351 tanks.

Hi all, luxfer i think changed in 89 to 6061, the older 6351 with luxfer 80 alum cylinders did have a problem. check out luxfer site however keep in mind that there is still some very good luxfer tanks around that are old...the problem started with the contraction, the older metal didnt have the give and the necks were the problem, now to check fore the cracks you do an eddy current test, in short its like reading an akg machine from a heart speacilist, i have an 80 tank eddy failed and i took it to a differnt shop and it passed , i then got it hydroed and it wouldnt pass the eddy, which is normal, you can get a hydro pass with neck cracks, you have to know the system, the
tanks when they have micro cracks in the necks , beleive it will pass eddy test, however be smart dont buy old luxfer past 89, if your not sure look at the manufacture line and see the construction date....., but overall stay away from older second hand tanks made from luxfer

You've taken a big step to safer diving!

Hi buddy you might want to look closely at side mount rigging, i think you might find a slighlty safer system, you should only have a bottom band, the rest should be bungie cord , check out mantadive, manta has some very good ideas for sling mount ,,,enjoy
when i get back fro mexico ill show you how, keep o diving

Back
Top Bottom