Should I wear life preserver on dive boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dandydon once bubbled... (b) people will think I'm a geek, which I usually don't worry about.

:geek: So, would anyone agree with mny concerns...??

Thanks, [/B]

I thought you'd be used to that!

Joe:tease:

Hey buddy, I get cut on Tuesday

Custer once bubbled...

Must be nice to be lean.

I can float in 3 ft swells with a twelvepack on my chest.

LOL- Can I set up a plate of cheese and crackers too? :D

All we need is a small TV and then who cares how long the rescue takes!

I havnt ever worn a PFD while on a dive boat but I have considered what I would put on if there were a problem that threatened the boat. I would go for my wetsuit, it isnt possible to sink and it will keep you warmer than a PFD. I have done a lot of trips where you sleep during passage to a site so a PFD is something you need to know the location of etc but it would be difficult to keep one on.
Bill

that I have done have been within a fairly short distance of the shore, so I have never particularly worried (or even thought) about it. I know that one can drown in a thimble full of water, and in rough seas 1/2 mile might as well be 10 light years. I judge my concern on the conditions; me, the boat, the seas, everything.

I couldn't use my BCD as a PFD on the boat ride, because it is usually strapped to a tank, getting ready for entry.

Around Monterey you usually have your wetsuit on before you board the boat, so I agree with Dyno Bill that the wetsuit can save your life, but I would hate to be trying to don it on a sinking vessel.

Of course, all of my above thoughts are worthless to anyone going on a liveaboard.

I like dandydon's idea of grabbing one early and using it as a cushion.

At a minimum, always make sure that you know where the Safety Equipment is on a boat, PFDs and Fire extinguishers. If you are more comfortable with a PFD close at hand, then to hell with what anyone else thinks, keep one with you. Why increase your anxiety? Do whatever it takes to make yourself comfortable and relaxed (within reason).

Wristshot

Wristshot once bubbled...
Do whatever it takes to make yourself comfortable and relaxed (within reason).

Wristshot

I'd have to second that.

I think my biggest concern on a boat is getting pitched out unexpectedly, I wouldn't be too worried about getting one on in a sinking vessel situation (other than the general panic if on a cattle boat). Having one close by, like the cushion idea, is my most common practice, but I've road through some rough seas on dive boats and pleasure boats with little more than a cognizant idea of generally where to find a PFD. Complacency is my enemy.

zeN|| once bubbled...
Does anyone Know if the USCG considers your BCD a lifejacket?Zen

Nope. It is not a life jacket

(1) No, a BC is not a PFD; knew that. Besides, I woundn't wear mine on a dive boat anyway; I wet the tank band and put it on the tank when I get on the boat - then use my own bungee to secure it all, if the boat doesn't have bungees.

(2) I prefer diving waters that don't require a neoprene suit; earlier this month, I was diving 82 F off Roatan. But even so - like my trip next week to Pacific waters off Catalina CA, I woudn't trust my 3 mil to float me face up if I fell overboard.

"I always at least like to know where they are, and I also keep my wetsuit on top of my gear basket when I'm on a dive boat." Yeah, that's the approach I've been using, but in a mishap, I'd wish I'd pulled mine out before the panic started; think I'll start pulling one out as soon as I board, keeping it handy unless I decide to nap, pee off of the back, etc. Then just put it on.

I'll see what reactions I get next week when I do that - from the crew and other tourists... :geek:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom