Should the Goliath Grouper fishery be re-opened?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll take a guess that you have not secured financial disclosure forms from Koenig and Coleman. Not having disclosed their financial grant money source or who they are working with will really produce questions about their bias and therefore the show's episode. Since K & C accept outside grants, the show's producers need maintain disclosure credibility.

First of all I do not think that we need to disclose anything you can ask their organization if it really bothers you that much.

Listen I am just your average fisherman, and would be the first to be cynical and question the methods and allegiance of a lot of so called scientists out there. I am NOT a tree hugger or hard core conservationalist by any means and do not wish to get into great debates over Global warming or other "alarmist" topics.

All I have to say is while Chris and Felicia where fine people and compelling in their arguments, it wasn't there voice that struck a chord with me. We had two gentleman one by the name of Tony Grogan (Owner of Spearboard.com) and Don DeMaria (Commerical Fisherman) on the show who are both veteran and skilled fishermen. I don't want to give the show away, but bottom line these guys are down there in the water with these fish and have a lot to say about where the future fishery should go. Watch and find out...you might see that our show is not as one sided as you are anticipating.

This show changed my views and I posted a link to my article earlier in this thread...let me know what you think!

First of all I do not think that we need to disclose anything you can ask their organization if it really bothers you that much.

Listen I am just your average fisherman, and would be the first to be cynical and question the methods and allegiance of a lot of so called scientists out there. I am NOT a tree hugger or hard core conservationalist by any means and do not wish to get into great debates over Global warming or other "alarmist" topics.

All I have to say is while Chris and Felicia where fine people and compelling in their arguments, it wasn't there voice that struck a chord with me. We had two gentleman one by the name of Tony Grogan (Owner of Spearboard.com) and Don DeMaria (Commerical Fisherman) on the show who are both veteran and skilled fishermen. I don't want to give the show away, but bottom line these guys are down there in the water with these fish and have a lot to say about where the future fishery should go. Watch and find out...you might see that our show is not as one sided as you are anticipating.

This show changed my views and I posted a link to my article earlier in this thread...let me know what you think!

lol while at least some of your views and accolades are a stretch at best. I'll sure try and watch. Thanks and Gl to you

First of all I do not think that we need to disclose anything.......

Other daytime television shows follow this same policy, I just didn't think Public Television did.

The show has not premiered yet. I'm hoping to get a copy of it since I'm not in Miami when it airs. This post is getting alot of hits, so the viewing audience should be healthy.

Other daytime television shows follow this same policy, I just didn't think Public Television did.

The show has not premiered yet. I'm hoping to get a copy of it since I'm not in Miami when it airs. This post is getting alot of hits, so the viewing audience should be healthy.

Again I am just a cameraman and editor and don't know what the policy is, but I do know that Chris and Felicia are reasonable people and if you contact their organization I am sure they will disclose their funding sources.

Anyway I am sorry to hear that you won't be in town to see the show when it airs. If you message me or email me at nicholso@wpbt.org I will be sure to find out when you can watch it when it re-airs or give you details on how to purchase a DVD copy!

I hope you are right and that many of my fellow fishermen tune in...we need to discuss this topic and the show brings up a lot of great points that I hadn't previously considered.

my thoughts (apologies if someone else said this already but didn't read EVERY response):
why not have a permit system like they do for alligators, apply for a tag to keep one goliath at a reasonable price (such as $50 like the tarpon tag). Only so many tags will be made available and you could only keep one per tag. Seems like a win-win all the way around, increased funding, better other fishing since the goliaths won't be sucking everything down, and little chance of overfishing with a reasonable number of tags

Last edited:
How about spearfishing by special permit only. They do that here in WA when it comes to hunting. If you want to hunt moose, elk in certain areas or other animals that don't exist in large enough numbers for everyone to have a shot at them, you enter the tag lottery. If you win you get a tag and can hunt that animal in the specified area. Every year you enter your odds of getting a tag get a little bit better, so that after 5 years or so it's pretty much a sure thing.

I would hope the species would be allowed to rebound more despite anecdotal "evidence" of them no longer being in short supply.

Anecdotal, really? Please enlighten me on your data source.

If enough true scientific studies show a significant rebound of a specific species of fish is present, then by all means consider a limited harvest. I am just not quick to jump the gun to opening it back up just because a few people here and there say they see goliaths "all the time". My sister and brother in law live in Punta Gorda

There is enough evidence to support a limited harvest according to research and the established MaxN and M used in present stock assessments.

Is your sister or brother in law working on goliath studies and if so, to what capacity?

I'm not very sensitive, otherwise I might remind people of their infancy in this sport.

Huh?

Like I said they are useless over 200 lbs But no one can tell me that a limited harvest would hurt anything.

Would disagree on the over 200 lb comment. Sounds as if you just need a few different reciepes. :D As for the limited harvest, um, yes they can, their "production" you watched just did...........

It's sure to stir up the debate on the Goliath Grouper and get the conversation going in the right direction.

Let us know what you think!

I think you had participation in a show that took less of the scientific approach and more on the plagiarism side of an organization trying to convey a bias viewpoint. Clearly conjecture was part of the theme as there were personal interpretations and opinions expressed throughout the entire film without a scientific hypothesis or method mentioned. Nothing wrong with that, lets just call a spade a spade.....

Too many variables not mentioned about how the base line was established or defined. Not to mention leading comments and characteristics portrayed that aren't natural behavioral patterns.....

Filming was good, even got an announcer with a voice suited to the theme. :wink:

just more fisheries trickery. So much for unbiased opinions and real scientific data.

Did you really expect something different? Because they used Tony's boat, that they properly represented the "other sides" viewpoint? That is their big token on being equal and non bias? Yes I say other side since their motive is clearly to oppose a fishery for this species at all. So much for letting the data lead you to a conclusion.

Not having disclosed their financial grant money source or who they are working with will really produce questions about their bias and therefore the show's episode.

This was clear when all of the "scientists" were pro for not harvesting in any fashion..... Comments like "just big babies" and then the final straw....... petting one at the end....... yeah, that is a natural behavioral pattern of the species..... talk about taking something out of context and not keeping it data specific...... can you say agenda?

East coast, Jupiter and below does not see the numbers that the gulf side is seeing.

I have dove both sides quite a bit. I will say that although Jupiter appears to have a small stock, it to has really increased in the last 5-8 years overall.

I think a tag program is an excellent idea so size, stomach contents, and olith's can be studied.

Although for nothing more than a scientific application this would make sense, well....... how could you harvest an animal that you can clearly swim up to and pet?

jnicholson1437

Again, congrats on the videos. You made a good looking film that conveys the point you intended to communicate irrespective of it being a bit bias.

Originally Posted by scubadork
I would hope the species would be allowed to rebound more despite anecdotal "evidence" of them no longer being in short supply.'

anecdotal ....? as in that USF/Coleman have only over the past couple of years finally put divers in the water to see these beasts . Or them rellying on counts from commercial fisherman ? That hundreds of divers/captains have submitted critical data to USF and for the most part none have been used ? Lemme ask how much food do you think it takes to keep a 200-250 Jew Fish Going a day ? The heard needs to be thinned to at the very least get some of the reefs balanced out ie/ actually seeing lobster on the west coast again some of the other reef fish comming back . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom