Show me your mount!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's my 3D rig:

Not too useful for filming yourself, but I frequently get shots like this:

Is-this-on.jpg

Me, looking at the little lights asking 'is this on?'
04.gif

One thing Ive never liked about the GoPro design is the front button and this screen at the front that ends up with so many of those awkward is this thing on shots.

I did use some of it to make a bit of fun from a friend that borrowed one of my cameras a while ago on a trip, I edited the footage up for him and he said can I make it funny for him. Not sure if he meant can I make fun of him but there is no other way to make a funny dive video I could think of and this was too easy lol. I did upload the video on you yt as well but its has been blocked in 232 countries due to the soundtrack lol.

Not that I haven't done that a million times myself like I did in the intro but I wouldn't do that to myself like I did on the intro here :)

[Vimeo]23359867[/Vimeo]

This video also shows the negative's of the headband mount, I did give him the chin strap but he kind of had some trouble with it as can be seen so it was so lucky he didnt lose the camera. I could tell with every breath as the bubbles hit the camera it was moving pretty badly and only luck kept it from falling off his head.

He also moved his head around lots making it very hard to edit the footage mostly because for some reason there was barely anything to see other then one nice big fish. So I used the slow motion trick heaps in the edit to try and get something out of it partly useable here. The vis was pretty nice for him and this would have been much better had I had filters back then but it was a long time ago when only the eyeofmine flat lens worked and there weren't any good filter options.

I still use the eyeofmine 3D version today as its still the only real flat lens option for the Gopro cameras but look forward to a hero3 3d housing as this will be coming stock with a flat lens plus the smaller flat ports will make it possible to have a filter option made for it. The old 3D housings are also not going to be compatible with the hero3 cams so they will need to make a new housing which I look forward to shooting more 3D stuff with.

I've had this OP arm since 1979 and it hasn't seen use in nearly as long. It's a little different from those I've seen posted so far, so thought I'd put it out there.

gp.jpg
I'll add a bolt snap at the ball joint and perhaps a length of bungee to the end with the light for stowing the rig.

GP1.jpg
In this configuration, light is positioned about 1' left and 5" front of the camera

gp2.jpg
Light is 16" below and 12" front of camera.

gp3.jpg
4" above, 4" right, 2" forward

Yet another design...

Attachments

• CIMG1825.jpg
    CIMG1825.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 384
  • CIMG1823.jpg
    CIMG1823.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 421
  • CIMG1824.jpg
    CIMG1824.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 531
I am going to try this setup, while it is a head mount it does keep my hand free for another camera. It uses a hotshoe tripod mount secured through a mask strap cover, which I also secured back to the mask. The tripod mount then is connected to a tripod mount gopro quick connect.

IMG_0121.jpgIMG_0123.jpgIMG_0126.jpg

So far it seems alright, a little weighted down on that side still don't know how the seal will be in water but so far it seems like it will work fine, if not it is easily undone.

Spiff,
Did you make those lights yourself? It looks like the black cylinder is a battery. Also, is that wood I see as the horizontal base? Thank you.

Hi. Yes those are home made from aluminium. 4 XML LEDs in each lighthead delivers approx. 8000 lumens total. The GoPro needs lots of light.
Here's a 3D drawing:
a.png

I am going to try this setup, while it is a head mount it does keep my hand free for another camera. It uses a hotshoe tripod mount secured through a mask strap cover, which I also secured back to the mask. The tripod mount then is connected to a tripod mount gopro quick connect.

View attachment 140050View attachment 140051View attachment 140052

So far it seems alright, a little weighted down on that side still don't know how the seal will be in water but so far it seems like it will work fine, if not it is easily undone.

Are you planning on keeping your head tilted the whole dive so the camera is level, or tilt the monitor when you want to watch it? :eyebrow:

You may want to add the pivoting arms on the mount to keep the camera somehow level. If you are filming fish swimming mid-water, it doesn't make a difference, but as soon as the bottom is visible, we tend to feel more very comfortable seeing it horizontally aligned.

HazardSports.jpg

I had a few different ideas but the above is a photo of the rig I decided to build first. Im pretty happy with the results, (4min YouTube video below). I don't think it turned out too bad. Now that I used it for the first time I came up with a couple of ideas to reduce camera shake !

The two GoPros pictured are mounted to an extendable pole. This allows me to get the camera much closer to the fish. The rear facing camera allows me to get myself into the video for shots I'd like to be in. The best of both worlds without having to fuss and rearrange equip during the dive. I SCUBA for recreation and don't want to have the video stuff take away from the relaxing experience and enjoyment.

Next to updates to this unit will be to weight / balance similar to a steadicam concept (minus the gyro); and, Por-15 Anti-corrosive paint.

I will come back and post updates as they produce results.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom