Show us where you live and dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I didn't have a chance to dive Saba, but visited on Windjammer's back in the 90's. Lovely island and the nicest people. I hope to go back and dive some day. :)

The good ol' coastal plain rivers of Virginia. Don't get too jealous everyone.

DSC00946.jpg

We are dutch and live near a small fishermans village at the Costa Maya on the Caribbean Coast of Mexico. Its called Mahahual and 400 meters in front of our coast stretches the Meso American Reef, with lots of beautiful places to dive. Some 34 km off-shore is Chinchorro bank. Over the centuries quite some boats foundered on the coral reefs. They turned Chinchorro into a true “ships graveyard". Mahahual is located some 360 km south of Cancun. mahahual_maya_luna_diving.jpgmahahual_maya_luna_diving2.jpgmahahual_maya_luna_diving3.jpgmahahual_maya_luna_diving4.jpgmahahual_maya_luna_diving5.jpgmahahual_maya_luna_diving6.jpg

Took this picture last night with my cell phone. It's at Cove 2 ... Seattle area's most popular training site.

Cove 2 Rainbow.jpg

I was there to introduce a fellow who just moved here from Long Island to Puget Sound. After I took this picture, we went diving. About 10 minutes into the dive we came across a 10-foot octopus out on walkabout ... spent about another 10 minutes watching and interacting with him. At the end of the dive I had to tell him not to expect that on every dive ... in about 3000 dives in Puget Sound I've seen it maybe two dozen times ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Love this topic! My dive bucket list just got much longer. Doc, I love the tank birdbath. SM Beaton, I love the camel scuba sherpa's. :rofl:

Well I am fortunate enough to live in the "Dive Capital of the World" (that's what the sign says as you drive into Key Largo).
Yes my diving here doesn't suck, but mostly I get to meet and sometimes dive with countless numbers fun ScubaBoarders.

Just a few photos of well known local dive sites.

View attachment 193912
Christ of the Abyss (aka Touchdown Jesus)

View attachment 193913
Speigel Grove with Hobster

View attachment 193914
Speigel Grove with MotoRef

Hope to see you if you get to Key Largo. :wavey:
Got married 16 years ago at the Christ of the Abyss

a81b65ca0487efd4524e2a574812625c.jpg

Aurora reservoir Colorado

This was the last dive site I did in Colorado (see post #6) ... Before moving to a South Pacific Island (see post #9). For what it was Aurora Res was great.

Love this topic! My dive bucket list just got much longer. Doc, I love the tank birdbath. SM Beaton, I love the camel scuba sherpa's. :rofl:

Well I am fortunate enough to live in the "Dive Capital of the World" (that's what the sign says as you drive into Key Largo).
Yes my diving here doesn't suck, but mostly I get to meet and sometimes dive with countless numbers fun ScubaBoarders.

Just a few photos of well known local dive sites.

View attachment 193912
Christ of the Abyss (aka Touchdown Jesus)
Hope to see you if you get to Key Largo. :wavey:

I enjoyed diving with you in Key Largo.. now your turn to come see us!

I want one fo those bird baths too!

I thought that was "The Christ of the moderately shallow"!

The site we dive the most. Bare Island in Botany Bay. Lots of dive sites around the island. Usually there is somewhere you can get in sheltered from the worst conditions... but not always! Not always an easy dive but lots to see if you know where to look.

It is a decent walk to get to the entry sites. Some also involve scaling rock walls.

Sometimes it blows up during the dive and exit is... interesting. Local knowledge makes life a lot easier. Surf entries over rock ledges are not as forgiving as over sand.

But worth the effort to see these

Oh and here is our actual back yard...
DSC01886 (Large).jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1254 (Large).jpg
    IMG_1254 (Large).jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 162
This dive site is where I took my 3rd OW dive on my OW course. It is called "The Gutter" at Shellharbour a couple hours from our place along the coast. My instructor liked to "challenge" his students with more varied entries. This one involves a giant stride off the rock wall. You have to time it to the wave action and getting out can be quite awkward.

His rationale was that he wanted to expose us to the different types of entries and exits in the area so we could plan appropriate dives for ourselves. I remember having to do my removal and donning of my gear on the surface in the Gutter. The waves building up and bouncing back off the narrowing walls made it interesting. I remember taking so long I figured I would never get it done... seemed forever to me at the time anyway.

This is looking back up towards the car park from near the entry... so you can see he also challenged our fitness level :doh: Shore dives in our area are not all that easy just getting to the entry/exit.

This thread is such a good idea.. lets keep it going :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom