Show your support for egyptian divers and people

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recently retired from Government service and worked with and have many friends in the Egyptian Navy. This whole debate about the Muslim Brotherhood depends entirely on which way Egypt's Military swings. The past three rulers have come from the military with Naser and Sadat having the backing of the Muslim Brotherhood. MB assinated Sadat over the treaty with Israel. Mubaruk crushed them early on in his tenure to help eliminate the same thing happening to him. Mubaruk has had a corrupt regime but none of this would have happened if it wasn't for food prices rising to a level that the people can't afford to eat, trickle down from our economic woes. MB was actually late to this party and just see a chance to fill a void. Please note the military has not fired a shot at the demonstrators. They know they are revered and have the support of the people. They can not afford to have the people against them should the next leader come from their ranks. The Egyptian people have my support and prayers in this and whatever happens I hope it is the best outcome for them. Why do we think if a countries government is not like ours it is somehow diminished or wrong. Egypt for the Egyptians whether they remain a staunch ally or not. It is first and foremost their country and their government. If they chose to live under a Caliphate it is their choose, I personally hope this is not the direction they go, but so be it. My 2 cents.

I'm just speaking from a selfish point of view: I want to continue to be able to go diving there - and drink Sakara.

Your other points are valid although I retain reservations about highly religious societies, the U.S. included. I had enough fire and brimstone growing up in Ireland to last me a lifetime.

I'm an optimist but I see this working out better than it could. Filling any vacuum quickly will be important though.

J

In the Drink,
I hear you, I also have the same reservations, especially, when it is convert or die. In my heart of hearts I don't believe they will go the route of Islamist state. The Egyptians I know are kind and generous. Going Islamist would further hinder their economy as tourism would be impacted to a point of non-existence. Egyptians also like money. I spent most of my time in Alex, love that city.

The Egyptians I know are kind and generous.

I would agree with that statement. But I would suggest it doesn't really matter when it comes to the politics of a country. People round the world are generally nice.

When I was growing up near Plymouth in the 70s, I met many young Iranian naval officers, my dad trained them for the Navy. They were charming, always smiling, very friendly.
A few years later... the Shah of Iran is overthrown by a largely young and energised population who just wanted the Shah out. A bit later, and all Westerners were thrown out of Iran. Not by the whole population - but by a radicalised element that had by then secured power. I'm sure those young officers were still nice - but now they had to choose to join the regular Navy or the Pasdaran (revolutionary guard).

I hope this won't happen in Egypt. While there might be some of the same tendencies, and crowds have been mobilised against Mubarak, I don't expect the military to sit around and tolerate a group who would build their own military wing similar to the Revolutionary Guard and marginalise the established corps.

An interesting parallel between Shah Pahlavi (from Gamal Mubarak's point of view) is that two of the Shah's children then went on to commit suicide in exile over the following decades... one a month ago in Boston.

Anyway, my point is the nastiest regimes can happen to the nicest people, however tragic that is.

Thanks for your post. Very thoughtful. Let's hope they don't sleepwalk into a nasty new regime. I think there's lots of practical reasons to think why they won't. Let's hope pragmatism wins the day, on all fronts.

J

I would agree with that statement. But I would suggest it doesn't really matter when it comes to the politics of a country. People round the world are generally nice.

When I was growing up near Plymouth in the 70s, I met many young Iranian naval officers, my dad trained them for the Navy. They were charming, always smiling, very friendly.
A few years later... the Shah of Iran is overthrown by a largely young and energised population who just wanted the Shah out. A bit later, and all Westerners were thrown out of Iran. Not by the whole population - but by a radicalised element that had by then secured power. I'm sure those young officers were still nice - but now they had to choose to join the regular Navy or the Pasdaran (revolutionary guard).

I hope this won't happen in Egypt. I don't expect the military to sit around and tolerate a group who would build their own military wing similar to the Revolutionary Guard and marginalise the established corps.

I was an instructor and had Iranian Naval officers in one of my classes. The day the Shah fell we were instructed to take the students to the airport and put them on a plane back to Iran. The next day I ran into them downtown. They decided to ask for asylum as they feared for their lives if they returned.
I am almost positive the Egyptian military will not go down the revolutionary guard road. Too much power and control to lose.

The Egyptian people have my support and prayers in this and whatever happens I hope it is the best outcome for them. Why do we think if a countries government is not like ours it is somehow diminished or wrong. Egypt for the Egyptians whether they remain a staunch ally or not. It is first and foremost their country and their government. If they chose to live under a Caliphate it is their choose, I personally hope this is not the direction they go, but so be it. My 2 cents.
Well said

We have e mailed friends in the dive industry in Egypt. They believe that the current government will be replaced by a hardline Islamist regime...

Egypt has been becoming more and more extremist Suni Muslim for decades now. When I was there in October, I was told by two of our guides in two different areas not to let anyone know that I am a (Shia) Ismaili Muslim for my own safety. Of course, Suni and Shia Muslims split a very long time ago and there is a great divide between the two, but Sunni Muslims, especially extremists, are particularly dismissive of Ismailis because we are seen as too progressive, too westernized, and highly value education, careers, equal rights and respect for women as much as men.

Al Qaeda has made threats against Ismailis, though it is nowhere near as known as against non-Muslims. We were informed that Al Qaeda is alive and thriving in Egypt and getting stronger. One of our Egyptian guides said that the world is concerned about central and east asian countries but "Egypt is the one to watch" and that "something huge is going to happen". Perhaps the locals knew this was going to happen for a while...

Friends, The islamists are there however they are not behind the move... and from what I see in here that when there is a new governemnt it will be truely representing the ppl and it will be with a moderate direction not an extreme one.
You all have seen how most of the egyptians deal towards to religion, I am sure you have noticed that ppl go praying and also keep having their work done ... we are not and will not be a new IRAN if this is the hoax.... you all know egyptians better than that and I urge you to convey this message

Back
Top Bottom