Shredding nails

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kimela

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This has become a problem more recently. After a week of diving I spend the next several weeks with my nails splitting and breaking. They tear very easily. I'm on a marine collagen supplement that should help with hair, nails, joints and bones. I'm wondering if anyone has a suggestion for something to apply to the nails to protect them or strengthen them? Thanks!

My first thought (disclaimer, I'm not a doctor..) is looking into making dietary/nutritional changes above and beyond the collagen supplement (but first it would be great to test for deficiency in iron, B vitamins, calcium, zinc, and perhaps fatty acids?).

Also, I don't know what you do with your gear between dives, but if you have been cleaning dive gear in a dunk tank I would start wearing waterproof gloves (or see if someone else can help) for that portion of post-dive work. In addition to the direct action of dilute bleach (sterimine being a less harsh option) it is possible chemical sensitivities may also be a contributing factor (personal example: under and around my fingernails, but not the actual nails, gets very cracked and dry every time my body is exposed to the chemicals in certain marine sealants).

I have had the same problem. My doctor tells me that age and hormone shift as I'm getting older causes a decline in hair and nail health. Also, low iron. She recommended taking a Biotin supplement. I did that for 8 months with no improvement. Haven't tried collagen yet. As a means of prevention, I clip my nails down before a dive trip. They can't break if they're not there to start with.

There are a few oils you can use post dive for moisturizing the body, hair, and nails: argan, vitamin E, coconut, frangipani monoi. My favorite is Frangipani Monoi Oil by Elemis. It absorbs quickly and doesn't leave you feeling greasy, and it smells wonderful! In its natural state, it is in solid form in the bottle. In a tropical climate, it will stay in liquid form. At home, I fill the bathroom sink with hot water and let the bottle sit immersed, and it's ready to use after a shower.

T
I have had the same problem. My doctor tells me that age and hormone shift as I'm getting older causes a decline in hair and nail health. Also, low iron. She recommended taking a Biotin supplement. I did that for 8 months with no improvement. Haven't tried collagen yet. As a means of prevention, I clip my nails down before a dive trip. They can't break if they're not there to start with.

There are a few oils you can use post dive for moisturizing the body, hair, and nails: argan, vitamin E, coconut, frangipani monoi. My favorite is Frangipani Monoi Oil by Elemis. It absorbs quickly and doesn't leave you feeling greasy, and it smells wonderful! In its natural state, it is in solid form in the bottle. In a tropical climate, it will stay in liquid form. At home, I fill the bathroom sink with hot water and let the bottle sit immersed, and it's ready to use after a shower.
That must smell lovely! I love frangipani. I cut mine short before a trip too, but they continue the shredding after I get home. Ugh.

I've got the age and hormone thing going on. @GiraffeMarineSalvage, I'm on enough supplements to choke a horse! But maybe I'm missing one or more of the important ones. I know I need to add zinc, but I'll do some research to see which ones help with nail health. Oh, and I don't get my hands in steramine - I let R do that. :wink: I rinse my stuff daily in fresh water, but that's it.

I get gel nail done regularly, every 4 weeks. Unless I catch a nail on the boat ladder they are usually still very nice when I get home but I make an appt for right after I get home anyway, usually at about the 3 week mark. I now also get a gel pedicure for trips. I use a cuticle oil daily on vacation (2x a week at home), I also take biotin and collagen for other skin issues.
43597C35-50DB-48DD-B7A1-1E1FA23947C5.jpeg
C520222E-07A7-4B6A-A00D-418D4CB7DCB7.jpeg

I did gel nails for a couple of years. I had two problems with them. They don't 'scratch' as well as a real nail - because they're so thick, they feel like they're rubbing my skin when I want to scratch it! (it's the small things in life!). And I knew they were ruining my nail beds. When I'd take them off it would take a couple of months to get a regular strength nail to grow in again. They're just not for me. But I know they do look lovely and wear very well on dive trips. :)

Not all gels are the same, you might try a different technician.
My nails are not filed under the gel, when I have it properly removed (as apposed to gel failure) there is no difference in the new growth.
I do agree that they can be thicker, one of the benefits for me. Mine slice like knives when I scratch otherwise. :)
Have you tried just a gel polish, no thick underlay? They are usually good for a couple of weeks.

I find that even regular nailpolish gives some protection rather than bare nails. Even a clear tough or hard nailpolish helps. But of course they don't last.

Pulling up wetsuits is also a culprit for ruining nails and splitting them, and I try to slow down and use the pads of my fingers as much as possible.

A friend of mine swears by Dip Powder over NextGen nails. We have been on 2 week dive trips and I am always amazed that her nails still look the same, but I've re-done my regular painted nails 2 or 3 times. She says her nails don't split or get brittle after.

There are fewer salons around Toronto that do Dip Powder, but I'm probably going to try it before our next dive trip in February.

I find that shellac and the acetone to remove it totally wrecks my nails for months, causing splitting and breaking that I didn't have before. That was a one and done.

Let us know what works :)

I get Dip nails because I am a gardener and regularly mess up my nails with physical tasks at work. I am in sales so I feel I need to invest in looking presentable.
I just did a weekend of dives and my nails do not look any worse for wear. However, I have had to go to several nail salons to find a nail tech that doesn't allow the final nail to be too thick because that drives me nuts.
I get shellac on my toenails because I am so hard on my feet banging them into things all the time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom