Shredding nails

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This has become a problem more recently. After a week of diving I spend the next several weeks with my nails splitting and breaking. They tear very easily. I'm on a marine collagen supplement that should help with hair, nails, joints and bones. I'm wondering if anyone has a suggestion for something to apply to the nails to protect them or strengthen them? Thanks!

Alcohol reduction? Adding calcium and magnesium to your vitamin routine.

Interesting topic. I have struggled with weak nail my whole adult life. They tear very easily. Yes, I have taken so many supplements, vitamins, etc, tried all sorts of things. Nail polish makes them worse. So I just suffer in silence. When my nails are super short, it's cause they have torn from diving. :)
However, just this week I had to cut them. And I've been diving a lot lately. What changed? I take collegen peptides- a powder added to my coffee in the morning, and a mult collegan + bioten supplement. Been taking this for over a year now. Seems to help. Both are available at Costco.

I get Dip nails because I am a gardener and regularly mess up my nails with physical tasks at work. I am in sales so I feel I need to invest in looking presentable.
I just did a weekend of dives and my nails do not look any worse for wear. However, I have had to go to several nail salons to find a nail tech that doesn't allow the final nail to be too thick because that drives me nuts.
I get shellac on my toenails because I am so hard on my feet banging them into things all the time.
I tried dip powder with an overlay plus a design on my fingers and toes before my last trip and it was amazing. It stayed intact throughout the trip and for a few weeks after. I am very hard on my nails at work and at home, and they lived through that.

The nail technician filed them down so that they weren't thick and didn't have a hump, which I was glad about.

At one month, I filed and popped them off myself, avoiding the acetone. They seem to be fine after, not brittle or splitting.

Skin Repair by Rosken, I swear by it. Makes my nails so they can almost bend completely backwards without breaking. I usually order from Amazon as it can be hard to get.

if you can, get it in the tub rather than the tube, I’m not sure why but it seems to work so much better and a little goes a long way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom