Side Mount Bicker Battle...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I really don't believe any one sidemount system is optimal under all conditions.

I agree 100%

Optimal: best or most favourable; optimum.

It is illogical, factually and/or grammatically incorrect for anyone to suggest that any sidemount system can be optimal in any conditions.

@bamafan To refute your opinions without having intimate knowledge of the full range of global conditions,regional practices or diving requirements would be a failed debate.

DevonDiver don't worry Razorista will argue about it. Apparently the only thing that impresses him is YouTube diving. It seems to me from looking at his YouTube channel he has a crush on Bogaerts and is desperately trying to be like him. He hasn't realized that all of those underwater ballet moves don't make you a good diver they are just for promotion. Bogaerts has done a great job of marketing himself and getting people to dump almost $800 on a harness and a bag strapped to it to hold gas. Like the famous quote says "There is a sucker born every minute" and it definitely applies in this case. Razorista really needs to branch out from his swimming pool / duck pond diving and see what the rest of the world is doing. Anyway at least he provides some entertainment.

DevonDiver don't worry Razorista will argue about it.
I am not arguing. I gave an opinion, other people are constantly arguing here.

Apparently the only thing that impresses him is YouTube diving.
Nope! What impresses me is the ability to explain why and how you are diving.
Everyone can make a good video. I have to work hard to keep mine as amateurish as I have them now, because they would not be much use to me otherwise.
I do not want to have them look like staged promotional videos, but show 'real world diving' situations.

Explaining, however, shows understanding.

It seems to me from looking at his YouTube channel he has a crush on Bogaerts and is desperately trying to be like him.
How do you deduce that from my youtube channel??
I have recently been told here that it shows I cannot dive at all, so it should not remind you of Steve Bogaerts, I think.

Otherwise you are partially correct. I would very much like to be able to dive just like him, doesn't everyone?
I fear however that the rest of my life is much to short to ever come close.

He hasn't realized that all of those underwater ballet moves don't make you a good diver they are just for promotion.
When someone says something like that I just know he hasn't done a singe real sidemount dive in his life :wink:
Sidemount offers the potential to do anything you like in the water.

Bogaerts has done a great job of marketing himself and getting people to dump almost $800 on a harness and a bag strapped to it to hold gas.
Try to build your own then. Will cost you around 400 Euros for an adequate set.
If you include around 100 hours of building and research, this will not be a good bargain however.

And by the way: Steve earns part of his income from training people for more than half the cost of the Razor in a single day.
To him this is a fair price for his work and also to hundreds paying him each year and thanking him for taking the money.
He gets more requests for training than a single person can fulfill, as far as I know.

Like the famous quote says "There is a sucker born every minute" and it definitely applies in this case.
That I am. HP owns my wallet now.
He has proven to me that he can be trusted to deliver on his promises.

Don't like it, but I am hooked now and the first dose wasn't even free :wink:

Razorista really needs to branch out from his swimming pool / duck pond diving and see what the rest of the world is doing. Anyway at least he provides some entertainment.
That's true, but I do not like traveling.
On the other hand, if you have seen Egypt, you get a fair impression of warm water diving and personally I do not care for it much.

The Netherlands and Germany offer some of the most challenging diving locations in the world when it comes to cold water, current, low vis. conditions and also offer so many locations that getting bored by one is hard... - those are the dives I seek for myself.

Optimal: best or most favourable; optimum.
What is it that makes your own definition hard to understand by you?
Do you know a better one? Can you theoretically think of one (competently)?
No? Of course not!
Than it is optimal!

You paraphrase one of the definitions of 'sidemount diving' by that sentence.

Last edited:
No, from the beginning you wanted to stop my success at bringing the modern, working form of sidemount to Germany.
You failed!
Razor brought sidmount to Germany...:rofl3:

The Netherlands and Germany offer some of the most challenging diving locations in the world when it comes to cold water, current, low vis. conditions and also offer so many locations that getting bored by one is hard... - those are the dives I seek for myself.
Oh yeah, super challenging. It's really quite dangerous where you dive, you could be attacked by ducks, you could get hit by a car on the parking lot, you could choke on a prezel in the parking lot and in some places those ponds are so deep that you can't even stand up and stick you head out of the water. :eyebrow:
So many dangers, but all this is no problem in sidemount, in back mount you could only survive this if you have super specialized training... like a junior Open Water Diver course.

Razor brought sidmount to Germany...:rofl3:
With shortening the name this is especially ridiculous. :rolleyes:
Yes, the Razor Sidemount System, in the form of the Steve Bogaerts videos, brought sidemount to Germany. :cool:

Tsk, tsk! It always comes down to this. Some idiot that has no affiliation to a person ruining his reputation.

I have personally met Steve Bogaerts and HP, as well as a number of the other GoSidemount instructors. They are nothing like Razorista. I can assure you that Bogaerts is very well respected in the Mexican cave diving community, even by his rivals. What's very sad to see, is his rep now being flushed down the toilet by a person that wants to make himself out to be more important than he really is. Razorista is not a GoSidemount instructor and I don't think he has any affiliation with them at all except that he took a 3 day course with them once. Please don't use Razorista as an example of Razor divers in general.

...Razorista is not a GoSidemount instructor and I don't think he has any affiliation with them at all except that he took a 3 day course with them once...
That is quite accurate.

Then stop ruining their reputation that they have worked hard to build. You are not only making yourself to look like a fool, but making them look bad in the process.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom