sidemount gear recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cwattendorf

Registered
Reaction score
New to sidemount and looking at gear options any recommendations on bcd, regs, tanks, etc? I dive pnw cold water mainly but would like a setup the will work most places.

Mostly a cold water diver here, too (frequently down to 39F). My typical setup is the xdeep stealth with a pair of faber hp100s and deep 6 regs on each. I most jump into Lake Tahoe, though I frequently drive to the Monterey area, and I wear a drysuit year round. I recently used the same setup in MX (AL80s and with a thinner undergarment, no gloves or hood) for cave training, and it was great.

LP50 are great for beach entry (or boat). I like my xdeep stealth tec, deep 6 and XStream. I dive Monterey (though not in a while).

New to sidemount and looking at gear options any recommendations on bcd, regs, tanks, etc? I dive pnw cold water mainly but would like a setup the will work most places.
AL80, LP85, HP100
XDeep Rec, Tec, Hollis K2, maybe a Razor if you’re feeling masochistic
Any reg with a 5th port, ideally diaphragm, will do

I’d ask why you’re keen on sidemount to begin with and what the eventual goal is, but the above will carry you through most anything.

Deleting my response, OPs posts are odd…

Relatively new to SM also. I dive the xDeep stealth tec. I was told that LP85s are wonderful to dive SM in cold water so that's what I got. Shops fill them to 3000 psi so that's a lot of gas. DiveRite XT1/XT4 regulators. So far, so good.

AL80, LP85, HP100
XDeep Rec, Tec, Hollis K2, maybe a Razor if you’re feeling masochistic
Any reg with a 5th port, ideally diaphragm, will do

I’d ask why you’re keen on sidemount to begin with and what the eventual goal is, but the above will carry you through most anything.

Maybe a Razor if you're feeling masochistic LOL

Xdeep Tec and HP100s work well in the cold for me.
Classic also works but it's struggling a little at the start.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom