sidemount gear recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sidemount for what specifically?

Do you need to dive mines with challenging access? Very tight caves? Do you suffer from a specific disability that limits your mobility?

I dive a K2 with LP85s, HP100s, and HP117s while diving dry in N. Florida caves which is where I do the majority of my dives. I have no trouble using al80s and diving wet with little or no added weight when I am in warmer waters. I love my K2 for the diving I do, but the minimalist approach of the Razor does really catch my eye. I hear they are very difficult to get setup correctly though...

I like the razor; however, the only steel tank that I regularly dive with it is the lp50. It’s definitely not setup for diving big heavy steel tanks. I did change the harness on my razor a bit though. The one piece crotch strap/spine strap is difficult to adjust. To be honest, if I was starting over, I’d build my own harness with the razor wing. Lots of places sell the harness hardware such as this place.

My advice is to learn for a specific set of goals in mind. Do you want to go to Mexico and dive the cenotes and caves? Shipwrecks in SE Asia? You’ll want to make sure that you are set up for Al80s as that is what you’ll be diving. You can still dive the cold waters in the western US with a drysuit and AL80s. I use the same setup with lp50s and Al40s as well.

There are many other folks that can give you better advice on sidemount with steel tanks. I did exactly two dives with my razor and hp100s. I can’t say that it was a positive experience for me. I found them considerably heavier and much more difficult to rotate sideways and swim through the wreck we were exploring. Certainly though I am biased as I have a lot of time with Al80s and know how they feel underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom