Sidemount Photos from my DIY rig trials...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

what backplate is that?

Are you asking me? If so, it is the Dive Rite Nomad butt plate.

How long is the webbing?

I'm going to experiment with running a single bungee across the back also...

Finally got my Oxycheq Ultralite backplate... that'll be trialed on the rig in the coming week (pictures to follow). The ultralite has a nice webbing loop on the back that'd be perfect for routing a bungee or the webbing for loops

The webbing is approx 1'. I then have it grommetted to a short 6 inch piece to make a "T" so I can slide that part of the T in to a belt slide. I had to use a grommet because no buddy on this island has a sewing machine that could go through both pieces of webbing.

Get some pics up of the rig you make with that new BP.

Looks pretty good. The only things I see are you're a bit gorilla armed from having the tanks way under your armpits, I'm guessing that they are there because the rig trims out better that way but if you look at the side view, you can see the bubble of wing behind your neck. If you could move it down or reduce the amount of gas all the way up there, you'll probaby be able to let the tanks move back so the valves are in your armpits and keep the horizontal trim. The second thing is that bulge of wing will catch the ceiling like crazy if you get in small spots, but I don't think that'll be a problem for what you're doing with it.

Looks pretty good. The only things I see are you're a bit gorilla armed from having the tanks way under your armpits,...

I'm pretty gorilla armed anyway! LOL

Seriously... it was part of the trial-and-error process. Cylinder bands were way too low ... which drove them up too high under my arms. Comfortable enough in the water, to be honest, but does tell in the photos...

...you can see the bubble of wing behind your neck.

Yeah... it's the classic 'hernia' caused by the bungees running over the wing. I thought the OMS Profile adapter would take care of those issues... it didn't.... it was too pliable. Bad, bad ju-ju for the OMS people....

Next step is to investigate alternative bungee arrangements... will be trying a single bungee across the back (will route ok with the Oxycheq backplate, as there is a convenient loop in the right place).

If you could move it down or reduce the amount of gas all the way up there, you'll probaby be able to let the tanks move back so the valves are in your armpits and keep the horizontal trim.

Yep... this should be solved through cylinder band adjustment.

The second thing is that bulge of wing will catch the ceiling like crazy if you get in small spots, but I don't think that'll be a problem for what you're doing with it.

Yep... it's a definite hazard for the penetrations I do. I wasn't aware of it until I saw that photo myself. Pathetic, weak profile adapter, that I though would add some rigidity as a 'hybrid' wing conversion for sidemount.

Now, I've got to solve problems that the manufacturer obviously didn't bother to address, or experiment enough to realize were happening....

Get some pics up of the rig you make with that new BP.

Got a new camera battery...so pics should be forthcoming. Just took a bunch of pics of the backplate assembly. Will be in the water for the next 10 days, teaching some tech/wreck in the rig... will get some feedback and pics to report with.

how much lift does that wing have?

The wing pictured has 32lb of lift. That's WAY more than I need for 2x AL80... but my 'Frankenstein' was/is built generally from a bunch of stuff I had laying under the stairs.... I'm tempted to trial it with my Oxycheq 17lb wing... but really.. I just want to keep my neat wing ready for the fast-ball single tank work that comes along...

Maybe there's a way to scrunch up the top of the wing. When you move the tank bands up, it'll move your center of gravity back. The neck bubble is already bringing your head up and your feet down a bit, that's why it trims out good with the tanks up under your arms further, the weight of the valves and regs are counteracting it. If you can scrunch it up, the bouyancy will be further down and the tanks can come back a bit without messing up your horizontal trim.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom