Sighted in Cozumel - what is it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lined sole (Achirus lineatus). They don't get very big. I've found several over the years, most frequently on the sand between reef formations on Villa Blanca.

Wow. Looks like you nailed it.

And yes, Deb!

With a tinge of dark burgundy on the tail, I think you nailed it Jim. I don't have anything as reference but this one was no more than 2 inches stem to stern.

These must be a bit rare as Miguel from SCC has not seen one before and he is a master of finding the smallest creatures.

Last edited:
Definitely not a peacock flounder as all warm water flounders are left eyed - as they mature the right eye migrates to the left side as viewed when the fish is flat on the bottom.

Soles, like your image, are right eyed.

I believe this to be a lined sole in Cozumel taken several years ago but about 1/2 inch long. White balance is off but if you zoom in it is still clear.

Coz_Feb_2012_Naked_Sole_03rc.jpg

Yes, that's another one, Dave. Do you remember the dive site?

---------- Post added July 29th, 2014 at 02:07 PM ----------

These must be a bit rare as Miguel from SCC has not seen one before and he is a master of finding the smallest creatures.

In twenty-five years of diving in Cozumel, I've only found a dozen or so, so either they are fairly rare or well camouflaged! They are more frequently seen in Florida.

I assume you mean me (not Dave - close tho). I don't recall the site but as I recall it was not sites north of Cedral pass and not any of the Palancars (or south of there). It was on top of a large sand ridge between low coral heads and I recall towards the end of a site. I recall it was not part of the top of any wall dive. So, maybe La Francesa, Dalila, end of Cedral pass where the sand starts. Bear in mind it was in 2012.

I've seen one poking around in the sand around Cantarel Shallows. Dario called it a black flounder, but it definitely had black lines in a near-black body. I'd concur with lined sole.
Definitely not a peacock. Only lines. No spots or speckles at all.

And THANKS Ken!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom