silly hammock question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Giggi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Last year I found out what those hooks in the walls are for...hammocks (or was someone pulling my leg), but maybe they are just in the place I stayed on Isla Mujeres. Now I'm wondering whether 1) those hammock hooks are found in the downtown hotels on Cozumel; 2) whether those hooks would really hold an adult in a hammock, since most travellers don't seem to find a hammock as a viable sleeping option and the hooks seemed like they have been there forever and just painted over...assuming that they don't get much, if any, use.

Last year I found out what those hooks in the walls are for...hammocks (or was someone pulling my leg), but maybe they are just in the place I stayed on Isla Mujeres. Now I'm wondering whether 1) those hammock hooks are found in the downtown hotels on Cozumel; 2) whether those hooks would really hold an adult in a hammock, since most travellers don't seem to find a hammock as a viable sleeping option and the hooks seemed like they have been there forever and just painted over...assuming that they don't get much, if any, use.

Can't answer about Cozumel, but yes, hooks in the wall are common for hammocks in other countries. Especially if the buildings are concrete/cinderblock construction.

Many people do find hammocks a comfortable sleeping option, but more commonly its just used to relax and de-stress.

Odds are that you'd have to ask the front desk if one is available for use.

Well, during normal times, that is when there are revolutions going on, they generally hang the heads of the deposed government officials on those hooks for eveyone's enjoyment.

You know how Latin America is . . . . :shocked2:

Just kidding . . . :D

the K-idster

Yup - I have them inside and outside my house, and can definitely say from first-hand experience that they will support a full grown adult. Also one grown adult and two idiot dogs who think they need to be in there too.

Actually, if you take the time (and $$) to get a really high quality hammock, they are unbelievably comfortable. I bought some in Merida, probably around $200 - $300 each. They are huge, and really really tough. I had a cotton one (before) that was pretty, and lasted all of about three months before my bum wore a hole in it. Nylon is tougher, and then top of the line is made of sisal, if I'm not mistaken.

I haven't slept a whole night in one, but I certainly have had some very high-quality naps in them!

I can tell you that they have hammocks in nearly every room at the Cozumel Palace; not really downtown but close enough. I'm 6'2" 230lbs and they held me just fine for some relaxation after diving. My daughter loved them as well, and rocked herself into oblivion.

Of course they work well for hanging wet gear as well!
:D

When we bought our house five years ago, there were two sets of hammock hooks in each bedroom plus two sets downstairs in the living room. The house was built in the early 80's and the hooks had been used.

When we added a wall to the great room upstairs and made a third bedroom my wife made sure that there were two sets installed in this room as well.

During Emily they came in handy for my wife and mother-in-law while they were out of power for five days, much cooler than a mattress when you have very little wind. And yes they will hold a lot of weight.

Another advantage that most don't think about is that you are off the ground away from bugs, snakes, scorpions, etc.

Thanks, everyone! I wasn't sure if someone was pulling my leg about the hooks. I never thought about using the hammocks to hang wet dive gear, but we've always had a room with a balcony. Too bad my dive gear takes up all my extra baggage space or I'd take my hammock for my afternoon siesta. (I bought a double hammock on Isla Mujeres last year, intending to hang it in my basement at home.) I hung it from the hooks in my room on IM and it seemed to work, but I still wasn't sure whether "the hammock police" were going to come and make me take it down. (This is what I get for travelling with pranksters. I never know when they are BSing me.)

Kraken...you k-rak me up, and I think there could be some truth to your version!

Back
Top Bottom