Silt Out - Wreck Danger! A graphic video demonstration.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great video!

I think this such demonstration is too risky, hope you guys could keep the best practices

How, exactly, would you suggest he should train certified divers to manage zero viz conditions? Blacked-out masks are useful and definitely safer, but they don't really convey what happens in a silt-out and there's always the knowledge that it's not real, that you can remove the mask and see again. Sooner or later, you need to experience having to exit by touch alone--there are some unavoidable risks that come with doing that.

I think this such demonstration is too risky, hope you guys could keep the best practices

How, exactly, would you suggest he should train certified divers to manage zero viz conditions? Blacked-out masks are useful and definitely safer, but they don't really convey what happens in a silt-out and there's always the knowledge that it's not real, that you can remove the mask and see again. Sooner or later, you need to experience having to exit by touch alone--there are some unavoidable risks that come with doing that.

I agree. Students train to lay guideline on all PADI wreck courses (dive #3). They do an (optional) penetration dive also (dive #4). That puts them into wreck overhead environments. In those environments, there is invariably a risk of silt.

If we believe that conducting a deliberate and controlled silt-out exercise is "too risky", what business do we have taking students into that environment? After all, silt-out IS a risk we (wreck instructors) are supposed to be training them to survive..

In all other aspects of scuba training, when it comes to emergencies, PADI teaches avoidance/mitigation AND response/survival. For instance, we teach how not to run out of air... but we also teach what do if that event occurs (air-sharing). Using that example, we also expose students to the experience of that emergency - by conducting the Open Water Course Air-Depletion exercise.

We do the same thing with deep diving... that's why deep training takes us deep... and why we do a narcosis test.

Applying that same logic to wreck diving - we teach avoidance/mitigation by developing good buoyancy, trim, awareness and non-silting propulsion techniques. We teach response/survival by guideline deployment/following practice (to very variable degrees of expertise, dependent on the instructor). We should also provide students experience of that emergency - it's a training philosophy/practice evident in all other aspects of scuba training.... so why not wreck?

I agree. Students train to lay guideline on all PADI wreck courses (dive #3). They do an (optional) penetration dive also (dive #4). That puts them into wreck overhead environments. In those environments, there is invariably a risk of silt.

If we believe that conducting a deliberate and controlled silt-out exercise is "too risky", what business do we have taking students into that environment? After all, silt-out IS a risk we (wreck instructors) are supposed to be training them to survive..

In all other aspects of scuba training, when it comes to emergencies, PADI teaches avoidance/mitigation AND response/survival. For instance, we teach how not to run out of air... but we also teach what do if that event occurs (air-sharing). Using that example, we also expose students to the experience of that emergency - by conducting the Open Water Course Air-Depletion exercise.

We do the same thing with deep diving... that's why deep training takes us deep... and why we do a narcosis test.

Applying that same logic to wreck diving - we teach avoidance/mitigation by developing good buoyancy, trim, awareness and non-silting propulsion techniques. We teach response/survival by guideline deployment/following practice (to very variable degrees of expertise, dependent on the instructor). We should also provide students experience of that emergency - it's a training philosophy/practice evident in all other aspects of scuba training.... so why not wreck?

I have to agree with your logic, silt out is a risk and if we fear it we have no business inside an enclosed environment. Having been to Truk lagoon it now gives me a better appreciation of the risks. Only ever saw one silt out in San Fransisco I think where the trucks are in the hold. Wasn't as bad as your video but it was interesting enough. Appreciate the video.

Back
Top Bottom