Silver Spring, MD diver, new to Board...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oatmeal7:
yes, but a 10D housing and new digital-capable strobes = mucho $$...

I'm sure I'll do it soon (after selling the Nikonos system that's worth less and less as time goes by...).

I spent big $ this past year when I switched from Nikon (after 20 years!) to Canon. Many pros have done, and are doing so, as Canon seems to consistently have the edge over Nikon on the digital front (their lenses are generally sharper as well). I think anyone who picks up a Canon 10D and a Nikon D100 at the same time is going to go with the 10D. Switching systems was rather a spulge though, because 90% of my pro work is medium and large format, and beacuse my studio went ahead and bought the EOS1ds (which actually isn't as nice to use as the 10D, but, hey...11Mpixels...).

Before I made that decision, I thought seriously about the Fuji, as most Nikon-based pro's use that body instead of Nikons.

UW photo is strictly a hobby for me, otherwise, it's too much like work.

As far as dive clubs, I don't know of any, but I'm going to get in touch with the club in the above reply...

Best-
Jeff

You are right about the big bucks, and traveling lighter also has a LOT going for it.

After posing the question of you I ran across another group called Patowmack divers -- tho they meet in Alexandria whereas probably the MD location is better for you.

Well enjoy your upcoming dives...I for one can't wait for mine!

Glo

p.s. re the Fuji, it has shortcomings but speaking as an amateur, I have been enjoying the heck out of it as well as the control I've gained over my processing.

and want the best quality, then it's transparency film and professional E-6 processing...

I also found Patowmack divers right after I wrote...

As a NoVa'er, are you familiar with Adventure Scuba in Chantilly? I found them through the NAUI website while I was researching...I'm thinking about taking a Nitrox course...

Jeff

gfac:
You are right about the big bucks, and traveling lighter also has a LOT going for it.

After posing the question of you I ran across another group called Patowmack divers -- tho they meet in Alexandria whereas probably the MD location is better for you.

Well enjoy your upcoming dives...I for one can't wait for mine!

Glo

p.s. re the Fuji, it has shortcomings but speaking as an amateur, I have been enjoying the heck out of it as well as the control I've gained over my processing.

oatmeal7:
and want the best quality, then it's transparency film and professional E-6 processing...

I also found Patowmack divers right after I wrote...

As a NoVa'er, are you familiar with Adventure Scuba in Chantilly? I found them through the NAUI website while I was researching...I'm thinking about taking a Nitrox course...

Jeff

I haven't done any courses with Adventure Scuba however have rented and purchased from them, all positive experiences. ('Get my reg serviced at American Water Sports in Fall Church where I bought it, which is much closer by.) But if you are out there doing a course with Adventure, if you don't already know there also is a Milwaukee Custard place right around the corner from them for celebrating your graduation.

Coincidentally I am also looking at a nitrox course, but will probably do that in Grand Turk next month. I'm thinking it might be an advantage for people with cameras who like to go slow and quiet and patient for the little guys to do their stuff.
Glo

p.s. about E-6, yes tho the day is approaching...

Back
Top Bottom