Similan Island daytrip from Khao Lak and info on Khao Lak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chicagolmt

Reaction score
Hello, my friend and I are interested in taking daytrips to the Similan islands from Khao Lak but I haven't heard anything about Khao Lak and am looking for some info. I am currently living in Chiang mai and everyone I speak with about the south has been to Ko Tao or Ko Samui. I am a very new diver (3 dives with resort/pool lessons over the past few years) and plan to get my open water cert in Ko Phi Phi before my friend arrives. I may also go to Ko Tao to dive a bit before my friend arrives as I have heard it has some easy dive spots (although can be very busy). My friend is an experienced diver. My questions are, is taking daytrips from Khao Lak the best option for us? We don't want to do a liveaboard and would only like to dive two days. Secondly, what is Khao Lak like? Families, backpackers, honeymooners? We are two 30ish women and would like to find a relaxing spot but would like a bit of nightlife and not somewhere full of families. Also, how would we get to Khao Lak? We plan to be in Siem Reap before we head south so we could fly from Siem Reap or travel from Bangkok.
Thanks for your help!

I was in Khao Lak about a year ago. The area was still badly damaged from the tsunami. Many shops were still closed. When we were there it was very quiet, but that was OK with us. We dove with Sea Bees - they run a very nice large catamaran out the the Similans daily.

I've asked similar questions about Khao Lak in my earlier thread here:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/thailand/212844-where-dive-similan-surins-khao-lak-daytrips.html

Khao Lak seems to be popular with European families and not as sleazy as Phuket or Pattaya. You can fly to Phuket direct from Siem Reap (Bangkok Airways) or via Bangkok (TG) and then transfer overland to Khao Lak.

Am off to Khao Lak this Thursday and will report our trip once we get back!

I wouldn't head to Khoa Lak until early March so I look forward to hearing how you like it and what the scene is like.

Have posted my review in the other thread:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/thailand/212844-where-dive-similan-surins-khao-lak-daytrips.html

In short, my suggestion is do your research and find out what you like to do. A daytrip is flexible and more comfortable but may not be as economical as a LOB. Also meet the people at the various shops along Khao Lak to get a feel of who you want to dive with. We had throughly enjoyed diving with Wicked with their friendly service and affordable packages but they may not offer the daytrips on the days you will like to go.

Enjoy your dives there!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom