Similan Islands, Thailand - with MV Scuba Explorer - has anyone done this before?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ewaiea

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I literally just got in last night from my Tropic Dancer, Palau trip. My girlfriend is so jealous of all the fun I had she wants to start planning a trip for us. We're thinking Thailand might be good because it's possible airfare AND liveaboard fees (for a 5 or 6 night trip) would be cheaper and easier for both of us to afford.

Has anyone went diving in the Similan Islands in Thailand via liveaboard? Specifically from MV Scuba Explorer out of Phuket?

Any and all advice would be much appreciated - my girlfriend and I are considering going on a trip to the Similans next March/April - is that a decent time to go?

Scuba Explorer, Diving Liveaboard Holiday - Phuket, Thailand

Last edited:
Hi ewaiea--I have some experience and expertise regarding Thailand liveaboards. When I saw that your g/f wants to do what you've done on the Tropic Dancer trip, my first thought was that the Scuba Explorer is such a different sort of vessel that it really can't replicate the experience you had. Make sure that she's not thinking of a sailing yacht like the one you were on, first of all.

The Scuba Explorer is a perfectly good boat, nothing special. She doesn't have private bathrooms, though, which most boats in this price category offer, and she carries a lot of divers (22 max).

If you are planning on March/April, try not to come too late in April. The season will be winding down then, and you never know about the weather in late April.

I've done a liveaboard with similan safaris. I highly recommend them. Very inexpensive and I had a great time. The food was decent, the diving was excellent. The boat is simple but comfortable enough.

My friend and I just booked a liveaboard through thailandliveaboards.com. I left the research to him and he said he found the best balance between comfort, price and number of dives with the "MV Andaman," I believe. I would've done some more reading if I had the chance, but it looks pretty good, and hits up at least two sites I've heard are amazing. I'll post a report here when all is said and done (going in late January). The only downside is the boat sails from Khao Lak, so we have to find our way there from Phuket... I hope this doesn't mean an overpriced taxi ride -_-;

What does everyone consider to be "affordable" when it comes to diving, and liveaboards? I think we're paying just under 18,000 thai baht for 4 days and 13 dives.

My husband and I did the Similans and Richelieu rock last year via liveaboard. We went with South Siam divers and it was amazing. The food, the crew, the divers, everything was absolutely top notch. You do share bathrooms and there were times where we had to wait a while to get a shower but it was an amazing trip. The crew was super laid back and had drinks with everyone at night and the area has some amazing dives. Regardless what boat you choose, the area is definitely a must dive for Thailand

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom