Similan Liveaboards (Is someone really asking about them again?...Please read)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife and I were on the MV Hallelujah recently (Jan 26 - Jan 30, 2012). We booked our trip through Marcia Fisk (Gekko Divers - "Quero" on this forum). I echo some of the comments here that you WILL NOT be treated differently because you booked through an agent - we were treated the same and fed the same awesome food!! Oh the food was yummy. The boat was large, very comfortable (but you should still bring ear plugs if you are an extremely light sleeper, nothing unique to the Hallelujah, you are going to experience more noise in the night as they motor from one location to the other regardless of which boat you get on). The boat crew was extremely helpful in getting you into and out of the water, and making sure that you are comfortable and attended to when you are top side. The dive briefings were detailed, and the dive leader/captain did their utmost to make sure they got us to the dive sites at the best times either to avoid the other dive boats or to catch the "best show" in the water. And all the while ensuring safety was a top priority.

My wife is a relatively new diver, I've had about 60-80 dives logged, and this was our first diving liveaboard. Marcia, convinced us to hire a private DM for our trip. I was skeptical at first, but boy, the extra attention we got from our private DM made ALL THE DIFFERENCE in the trip for the both of us (and in particular, my wife). If either one of you is relatively new to diving or if this is your first liveaboard, the extra attention is definitely very helpful. The other divers who were assigned to the DM's (hired by the dive operation) were grouped into group sizes of 4-6 divers. The DM's main job (rightly so) is to show you stuff - hence the amount of personal attention is limited. And somewhat echoing Marcia, if you decide on hiring a private DM from the boat, you won't know whom you will get until you get on. Just reading the previous postings, it is clear that the boat hires different DM's for different trips based on DM availability. On my trip we had Steve, Todd and Joe. Steve is the only constant because he is a full time staff from the dive operator, the rest of the DM's are generally freelancers. If you go down the route of getting a personal DM, i highly recommend Marcia - if she can't do it herself, she has access to a a group of highly professional and experienced instructors and divemasters. She got us Sean Porter (a master instructor/DM) who was amazing, caring, professional and mature in his approach.

If you need additional information about the boat, pls let me know. Koh Bon, West Ridge - Manta Ray (28).jpg

Did a great 4-day liveaboard trip a Feb 2012 with Sea Dragon on their boat M/V Andaman. Itinerary took in Surin and Similan Islands as well as Richlieu Rock and Koh Bon. 3-4 dives per day including night and sunset dives. Some beach visits and BBQ night on the boat was a gas. M/V Andamand is not the most luxurious but perfectly comfortable and SD's prices are fantastic, the food is varied and top notch, divemasters were great and the Thai boat crew was fabulously helpful and friendly.

I was freshly O/W certified from Sea Dragon's purpose-built facility in Khao Lak and didn't feel slighted by the service - though our newbie group did get the least experienced Thai divemaster. My wife stuck to snorkeling and had personal supervision and shuttling to snorkle sites from one of the Thai boatmen. I wouldn't hesitate to go out with them again - just wish their cruise itineraries took them farther afield (eg, Mergui Archipelago.)

it may be too little too late to be of help to you, but i was in the same position a couple of months ago - aow certified but limited experience, looking for a reasonably priced liveaboard in the similans. after many exchanges, i chose to book with marcia (quero), and am happy to have done so. her recommendation was right on. but it didn't end there. because of my limited experience, i chose to stay a few days before the trip's departure in chalong and do a few guided dives with marcia. it was a good call. in addition to being a great guide she gave me some very helpful and timely private instruction, and it went a long way to making the liveaboard a success. just something to consider. if you have any questions feel free to pm me. - rc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom