Simple, Cheap, Titanium Scissors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dclassen

Registered
Reaction score
OK, new to scubaboard, but here's my first completed project.

I went to Fabricland, and bought myself a pair of Westcott spring loaded titanium scissors. As they're spring loaded, there are no loops that you need to try and fit your gloved fingers into. The scissors have conveniently placed eyelets for mounting to a retractor, three inch plastic handles, and 2 inch titanium scissor blades. The only issue is simply that the spring wasn't stainless, so it needed to be replaced so as not to rust in the ocean. The spring sheath stays on firmly, actually attches and stays with the retractor, and this baby will never rust! Best $20 I've spent in a while!

View attachment 53783

Attachments

• 59366_z.jpg
    59366_z.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 367
Hello Dclassen,

Welcome to Scuba Board.

Looks like a good idea, however one thing concerns me. The reasons to have scissors or cutters is so you can clip a piece of tough material like in a net or steel wire if one needs to. Are the handles on your scissors durable enough to hold up under such force? If the titanium blades extend into the handles think I would think yes, but if there is only a short metal tab and long plastic handles fitted over them you could find them wanting.

Thanks,

Couv

Another thing that may be a problem is even though the cutting edge is Titanium the spring may not be. My question would be if it is Ti, SS or just springs steel?
If it is a metal of lesser corosion resistance the snips may be short lived.

OK, new to scubaboard, but here's my first completed project.

I went to Fabricland, and bought myself a pair of Westcott spring loaded titanium scissors. As they're spring loaded, there are no loops that you need to try and fit your gloved fingers into. The scissors have conveniently placed eyelets for mounting to a retractor, three inch plastic handles, and 2 inch titanium scissor blades. The only issue is simply that the spring wasn't stainless, so it needed to be replaced so as not to rust in the ocean. The spring sheath stays on firmly, actually attches and stays with the retractor, and this baby will never rust! Best $20 I've spent in a while!

View attachment 53783

Hi
very good scissors

Classic Anvil Secateurs - Secateurs

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom