Simply awesome...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zaphod

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I just got the chance Friday to dive at the National Aquarium in Baltimore.... What an amazing dive. I spent about a half-hour in both the ray exhibit and the atlantic reef exhibit. The animals, of course, are extremely tame. The green turtle in the ray tank loves to have it's shell scratched and there's a half-blind shark that keeps running into everything. There'a a loggerhead in the reef exhibit that seems pretty hungry - he keeps biting everything (hoses, wetsuits, etc.) He seems awfully mad.

Probably the best part, though is playing with the critters on the other side of the glass. My chance was probably a one-time opportunity, but they have a volunteer program for divers there and I understand it's very difficult to get into. Still, on the off-chance you can get in, it's well worth it.

Zaphod:
I just got the chance Friday to dive at the National Aquarium in Baltimore.... What an amazing dive. I spent about a half-hour in both the ray exhibit and the atlantic reef exhibit. The animals, of course, are extremely tame. The green turtle in the ray tank loves to have it's shell scratched and there's a half-blind shark that keeps running into everything. There'a a loggerhead in the reef exhibit that seems pretty hungry - he keeps biting everything (hoses, wetsuits, etc.) He seems awfully mad.

Probably the best part, though is playing with the critters on the other side of the glass. My chance was probably a one-time opportunity, but they have a volunteer program for divers there and I understand it's very difficult to get into. Still, on the off-chance you can get in, it's well worth it.
If you can get to Virginia Beach, there is always a shortage of divers at Virginia's Aquarium (formerly known as the Virginia Marine Science Museum).

I was in the Chesapeake Bay Aquarium this morning, will be back in tomorrow morning, and will be in the Harbor Seal exhibit on Thursday.

>>I just got the chance Friday to dive at the National Aquarium in Baltimore

Was this a one-time deal? I understand getting into the aquarium program means slogging through a long waiting list, and then committing to a certain number of hours per month.

I've been on the waiting list to get onto a dive team for over a year. If you only have weekends available, it might not be worth the effort. Tryouts, written tests, interviews, dive tests, general aquarium training, dive physical... Am I bitter, just a little :) I had put that I would be a herpetological assistant (amphibs and reptiles) for a second choice and an exhibit guide for a third choice, but no joy...

If on the other hand you care to try, go to www.aqua.org and look at the volunteer stuff. Get on it soon though, cut-offs for next year's diving applicants usually closes in September.

-Frank

Back
Top Bottom