Singapore Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hey, thanks for the link. i'll check out the forum.

Hello All!

Over the long Easter weekend, I went to Guam. I am from Singapore but now live in Hong Kong.

Part of the trip was dedicated to a day dive consisting of 2 tank dives. Guam is a beautiful island and it is surrounded by great waters, clear blue with a visibility of 30m minimum.

We signed up with Guam Tropical Dive Station, http://www.gtds.com . We were picked up from the hotel at 7:40am and hurdled into a van with 4 Japanese tourist.
We then went along to another hotel to pick up some other diver. We were driven to the GTDS's shop were we were asked to fill in the Waiver Liability Form and to show our diving cards. I was shocked to see that a Japanese couple had no diving card but claimed to be able to dive, was allowed to go on the trip.

After all the formalities were done, we were driven about 15 mins away to a jetty to dive!
I was really excited up till then.

We arrive at the jetty and I were told to wait for the boat. While waiting, I was asked to help carry other people's rented gear to the boat. I am complaining, I usually help out when I used to go on dive trips to Malaysia, but there is one big difference here, everyone helps. All the Japanese just watched, while I carry the stuff, My wife and I were both pissed off.

We get on the boat, and guess what? There are 52 people on the boat, yes 52, and with the exception of say 4 people, everyone was diving. That means 48 divers on a boat. I have dived countless times in Malaysia and 30 people on the boat is cool, but 48 was crazy. But bear with me, here is why?
We were not given a proper space to rig up, like the other 45 divers, we [my wife, a HK man and me] were asked to rig on the floor, while everyone had a proper seat to rig up.

The first dive: GABGAB 2
We get into the water and there is hardly any fish, the dive master is order to make it worth our time, pulls out a pack of sausages and gives it out to us to feed the fish.
Hold on! I thought as divers, we don't feed the fish, we are just there to observe the beauty?
The next thing that freaks me out, is the dive master is picking stuff off the seabed.

The 30+ min plus dive is uneventful.

The second dive: Finger-Reef
We are told that we can hold on to the corals if we need support before the dive. Shocking!
We are also told since 2 new dives are joining us, we have to dive at max 12m. For God Sake, I am an advance dive and my wife an open water, and we have 60 dives among ourselves, in the last 13 months. We are not newbies.
We were told to do a giant stride, and wait at the rear of the boat for everyone else. We spent 15mins there waiting for the newbies to get into the water, surely, another dive master should have been there to take care of the newbies and another to take care of the others right?
As you can imagine, we see nothing at all.

The dives were a completed disaster. I had email GTDS at least 15 times, explaining that we were certified dives and we were bring out camera and wanted to dive at good spots. But all we got was basic dives in a crowded boat.

Comments?

All i can say..it one of those days. Can't help it but it does happen..which is sad

Sinners

I think i did post to you warning not to go there, the vios may be great, the island great but the fish life sucks big time.

I know you did, but it came too late as I had just signed up.

Albion:
Sinners

I think i did post to you warning not to go there, the vios may be great, the island great but the fish life sucks big time.

Hi All,

Like Sinners up there I am a Singaporean diver working in HK. Been doing some diving around the Phils but planning a major trip next March to either Layang Layang or Tubbataha. Also an amatuer UW photographer.

Just came back from Puerto Galera in June and the diving was great. Decent vis and excellent dive mastering. Would have prefered more experienced divers in my group but on the whole a decent and cheap place to go. Got some pics in my gallery where some of the marine life is featured.

Oh Great!

At last another diver!

My email is alrickdorett@hotmail.com, email me, and if you need a dive buddy count me in.

Cheers!
Alrick

Wolverine:
Hi All,

Like Sinners up there I am a Singaporean diver working in HK. Been doing some diving around the Phils but planning a major trip next March to either Layang Layang or Tubbataha. Also an amatuer UW photographer.

Just came back from Puerto Galera in June and the diving was great. Decent vis and excellent dive mastering. Would have prefered more experienced divers in my group but on the whole a decent and cheap place to go. Got some pics in my gallery where some of the marine life is featured.

sinners:
Oh Great!

At last another diver!

My email is alrickdorett@hotmail.com, email me, and if you need a dive buddy count me in.

Cheers!
Alrick

Excellent. I am contactable on my email at timtan69@yahoo.com. If you are planning any activities, feel free to email me. I am a 36yr old Banker with Divemaster certification. Lost count on number of dives after 300. Will keep you posted if I am planning any trips. Exploring either Layang Layang or Tubbataha next year in March. Will email you once I have more details.

:wink:

Back
Top Bottom