Single Tank on a Dive Rite Transplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueLionPiper

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So a bit of backstory..... While scoping out a new dive site with my shop owner I decided to try out a new tank I bought. I giant 98 LP steel. Figured I'd use it for OW cert days and dry suit diving. I used my normal set up with my Sherwood Avid BC and SR2 regs. The dive went well enough but come to find out this giant tank broke the top buckle attachment to the BC... :'(

Anyway I have my Transplate that I use in my cave set up with a Classic EXP wing. I'm thinking that I can set this BL&W to handle this giant single tank. I tried just threading my old tank bands through the slots cut into the BP and attaching the tank that way. This works well enough except the tank is pulled to one side or the other. The tank is about 1/2 inch off center. My concern is that with this tank on my back that I'll be way off balance. Am I doing something wrong? I know that Dive Rite makes a Single Tank Adaptor with is basically a U-notch with strap slots. Any guidance would be great!

thanks!

well as a fellow bagpiper *learned both bagpipes and scuba at NC State*, literally just finished re-hemping my drones ironically enough, we'll try to get you sorted.

first off, LP98's aren't that gigantic, if you want properly gigantic tanks, take their big brother 121's out for a spin ;-)

the classic is really not the wing you want to be using with a single tank since it is intended for doubles, and contrary to what Dive Rite or anyone else says, when used with a hard backplate, the dive rite plates really do need a STA. The main issue is the grommets make the tank sit on something incredibly small on the spine and prone to rolling around.

If you are adamant about using it though, you have two options, neither of which are particularly expensive.

OMS Soft STA Stabilizing Adapter
cheapest, works quite well, keeps the tank really close to the backplate

DGX Premium Single Tank Adapter {11.75 in | 30 cm}
next step up. only downside is the tank is a bit farther off of your back but I don't find that to be much of an issue. The main advantage to this is that the cam bands stay in the STA, so if you go back and forth between singles and doubles, it's a lot less work. If you are using a single backplate to do double duty, I'm a bigger fan of this. The other advantage for what you are doing is you don't have to remove the sex bolts each time you want to go back and forth since this STA mounts identically to your doubles

The issue is more the wing than the plate.

To stabilize a single tank you need a STA or a wing with stabilizers. Not such a big deal with al 80, but bigger or heavier tanks will roll without one or the other.

You could add to your EXP wing or get a wing dedicated for single tank with built in stabilizers.

Last edited:
Always great to meet another Piper! From what you and ronscuba are saying the more correct solution would be to replace the wing. What are some suggestions on which wing would do better with what I'm trying to achieve and would that set up still need a STA?

As to the size of my tank :wink:, yeah there are a set of double LP 121's that are used about once a year and only by one of our divers. He's a rather large fellow and seems to handle them well enough but they are clearly not for me. I'll stick to my HP 104s.

hp104's? lp104's ar ea thing, but they are mammoths as well. HP100's are a bit more normal there.

anyway, replacing the wing would really be the best solution. Unfortunately all Dive Rite wings IMO require the use of STA's since they all work identically with the crosshair construction. I am a big fan of Deep Sea Supply, however use of their wings requires that your backplate has multiple bolt holes in the spine and may be better off just buying a dedicated single tank rig at that point.

Deep 6 30 LB Single Tank Wing - Buoyancy
that guy will work fine and is quite inexpensive. Only hitch there is if you are cave filling your 98's, and also diving fairly deep with thick wetsuits. I.e. I wouldn't use that with a 7mm farmer john at 100ft with a cave filled lp98. You have ~10lbs of gas in the tank when it is that full, vs ~8lbs, and a 7mm farmer john could easily lose 20lbs of buoyancy depending on what kind of neoprene it is *Stretchier loses more buoyancy*.

There are other wings out there as well that will fill the bill, but for the price it's a bit difficult to look at many other ones.

I assume you have a Dive Rite plate with your Transplate harness ?

Everyone has their favorite wing mfr. I like Deep Sea Supply and Oxycheq. Depending on your wetsuit and how much weight you carry, a single tank wing in the 20-30lb range should work well.

I assume you have a Dive Rite plate with your Transplate harness ?

Everyone has their favorite wing mfr. I like Deep Sea Supply and Oxycheq. Depending on your wetsuit and how much weight you carry, a single tank wing in the 20-30lb range should work well.

The Oxycheq's are really nice as well, just hard to justify the price on an individual wing. The Deep6 listed above is $250, DSS is $300 *which I do think is nicer if you have the extra bolt holes on the backplate*, and the Oxycheq is $350. I just don't think the Oxycheq is worth that amount of money.
The DSS becomes a really good deal with a full rig since you basically get 10% off the backplate and wing, and get a free harness compared to buying individual bits. May not be a bad way to go if you are tall or short, or need/want a second backplate. Not uncommon if you are diving with different exposure suits so you don't have to adjust it, or if you need something like the Kydex plate for diving doubles if you are overweighted with SS, or vice versa depending on what you have now

Why do you say the DSS wing need extra mounting holes in the plate ?

I have no problems with my Dive Rite aluminum or Oxy soft plate with DSS wings using 2 mounting holes.

Why do you say the DSS wing need extra mounting holes in the plate ?

I have no problems with my Dive Rite aluminum or Oxy soft plate with DSS wings using 2 mounting holes.

nevermind, I wasn't thinking. Been a while. You are correct, they'll mount up to standard plates since the rubber grommets are on the standard 11" center. Shouldn't have an issue with it. If that's a route you want to go, call Tobin who is @cool_hardware52 on this board, and when you call, make sure you have the measurement from the top of one cam band slot to the other, as well as how far the top end of the cam band slot is from the bolt hole. That way he can make sure the bands will line up.

the super super nice thing about this wing is that the wing can be removed without removing the cam bands. Really convenient thing for packing and cleaning

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom