Single Tank Wings (HOG 32lb vs. OMS 32lb)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been looking at the same two. I friend that owns a dive shop recommended that I should go for more buoyancy (38# +). I'd like to hear some input on that as well. This has me thinking of going with a DiveRite Venture wing (45#).

Respectfully, I think you can find a better wing than the Dive Rite venture wing. My fiance gave his to me when he upgraded to an Oxycheq Mach V wing (which he loves), and while it's perfectly servicable, it's not ideal. It creates the Taco Effect From Hell, which isn't the most desirable characteristic for a singles wing. Having all that material flapping around behind me is a pain in the neck, and I'm willing to bet I'll trim out much better in a wing with a smaller, neater profile. I think a problem is that the Venture was designed to accomodate singles and [light - say, AL80] doubles, and like most things that are designed with a dual purpose, it does neither of them especially well.

As I said, my other half is chuffed to bits with his Oxycheq single wing, and based on the performance of his DSS doubles wing, I'm willing to bet their singles wings are also awesome. Check out Hollis, too - they make neat singles wings.

For a fact, the DSS LCD-30 wing is outstanding! So is the entire rig.

However, it's also a fact that the center outlet doesn't work out well with double hose regulators. Thus the HOG wing.

I bought an OxyCheq setup for my grandson until he is tall enough for the DSS large SS plate. He needs to grow another couple of inches and then it will be off to DSS for another package.

My wife has that DiveRite Venture wing on one of the comfort harnesses. I'm not a fan. I really didn't like the recall. I should probably buy a better wing but she likes the harness so we'll probably keep it.

Richard

Just got the HOG and I think I made a good choice for my needs. Thanks for all the info.

I'm in the same situation on a new BP/W...big sale on OMS stuff online caught my interest. I've read a few times on this board about OMS custy service being "bad" or worse.......Is this just urban legend stuff or are there specific instances where the co rec'd a valid complaint or problem and they didn't address the situation? The only negative news on the co I could find online was a fairly neg article on their regulators.

+1 on LeadTurn's original post.

I have the 32lb Hog singles wing and it seems to be very streamlined and doesn't taco around my steel HP100 and create unnecessary drag.

It has two metal bars sewn into it and running down the center between the camband slots that act as built-in tank stabilizers. I was originally going to go with a STA but decided that I'd buy it if their built-ins didn't cut it. If you've got your tank secured properly you're not likely going to need the STA unless you are buying it to add more weight to the rig. I never bought that STA. :D

I typically dive a 5mm wetsuit with SS BP/W rig and HP100 single tank. I've also carried a AL40 stage bottle and never had a problem with needing more lift. Only change I've made is swapping out the original inflator hose for a quick dump hose. It suits my application just fine. Hopefully it will fit yours as well. It's a great product at a very inexpensive price.

Last edited:
I have found my OMS harness, wing and BP to be outstanding, high quality, even bombproof. I have found the company's customer service to be very poor. But I have not needed much from them that my local LDS cannot handle. I find the OMS gear to be better made than some of the other BP/wing sets I have seen.

I went with the HOG wing, which I received in the mail today. The build quality is excellent. Several things pop out at me in particular:
-The wing has 4 drainage grommets, two on either side of the wing.
-The weird looking inflator has been replaced with a standard generic one.
-My halcyon weighted single tank adapter sits very steady on top of the "integrated STA" metal bars, which was an issue I was worried about.
-The connection across the bottom (smallest part of the donut) is about 80% of the size of the main tube. It looked a little smaller in the factory pictures.

The overall build quality appears excellent.

I have a HOG 32# wing and love it.

the K

+1 on LeadTurn's original post.

I have the 32lb Hog singles wing and it seems to be very streamlined and doesn't taco around my steel HP100 and create unnecessary drag.

It has two metal bars sewn into it and running down the center between the camband slots that act as built-in tank stabilizers. I was originally going to go with a STA but decided that I'd buy it if their built-ins didn't cut it. If you've got your tank secured properly you're not likely going to need the STA unless you are buying it to add more weight to the rig. I never bought that STA. :D

I typically dive a 5mm wetsuit with SS BP/W rig and HP100 single tank. I've also carried a AL40 stage bottle and never had a problem with needing more lift. Only change I've made is swapping out the original inflator hose for a quick dump hose. It suits my application just fine. Hopefully it will fit yours as well. It's a great product at a very inexpensive price.

Hi,

When diving with 5mm, SS BP/W and HP100 do you find you still need axtra lead to get down?? I am just starting to research BP/W now and with my usual 3mm and poodle jacket in need 18lb on a belt. Will need to cover both 3mm and 5mm wetsuits with an HP100 and a little concerned that an SS plate would be to much weight. BTW I'm 6'4" and 240lb.

All configurations take some tweaking.

That's why log books are a good thing.

the K

Back
Top Bottom