SingleDivers.com does Exuma Island, Bahamas and the Caribbean Explorer Liveaboard - 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
I posted this report in the Bahamas sub forum, but was encourage to also put it here. Double posting is kinda a no-no, but do want to help others, so i'll stick my neck out here...

I haven't loaded the pics into SB's gallery yet, but the AOL slide show can be accessed here: AOL Pictures - View Share Warning: It's over 400 pics, so speed the show up to 1 pic per second maybe...?

[c]
Screen03lined.jpg

[/c]

First Mission: Getting there is half the fun, or problem - or both? A surprise ice storm hit my area around sundown the night before leaving streets and highways quite slick for the night. I never knew if the sand trucks bothered or if the surprised road crews just let it melt off in the morning as I had to be at an airport 70 miles away by 6:30 am Friday regardless - so I just left at 4 rather than 5 for a slow trip in. I was going in a day earlier than actually required to catch my boat but didn’t want to play that trump card yet - just might need it later…?

The regional airline ground crew had to launch a flight held over from the night before as well as mine at virtually the same time, and I was amazed at how comical that went down - just not something this minimal crew often does I don’t suppose, but we got out safely and not too late. Once away, my journey was pretty simple: sleep all the way to Houston, take a fast break in the clubroom then board again, sleep all the way to Ft. Lauderdale, take a long break in the clubroom there then board the little prop plane, sleep crossing the Gulf Stream and much of the Bahamas, grab bags, check-in with officials, cab to the hotel, done! I did eat half a subway sandwich packed for the trip somewhere in there, and I do have to take a stand on that hometown employee never touching my food again - she just ruins them, but I did okay with trail mix and clubroom snacks.

Our group was scheduled to sail Saturday on the M/V Caribbean Explorer with no other chances in the week to catch up to the boat if missed, so early on in the message board discussion I strongly encouraged my dive mates to arrive on Friday as I planned. This had always seemed the obviously prudent approach to me for anyone boarding a sailing vessel, and we had people flying in from several states, one Canadian Province and one country in Scotland so it seemed even more so the thing to do, just in case anything went badly. Our leader was busy leading other things when this trip fell into place so another member checked on the few hotels on the island - finding only one that did not require a 7 day minimum, so she booked all 8 rooms. I think we could have squeezed all 18 members in there, but at least 16 booked to arrive on Friday with the other two taking non-stop flights from nearby states on Saturday. The Scottish lass was going to do a few days in Florida and arrive Friday but she had to cancel long before the trip and her spot was filled from the waiting list.

Things did go wrong here and there, of course - but one late bag arrived on Saturday, the traveler from Canada trying to make it in one day finally arrived the second afternoon, and his long missing bag of scuba gear was eventually returned to his home. The boat furnished him with enough rental gear, and we sailed at high tide.

Sunday’s diving was nice, cooler than expected but fun, and we were going to do the first night dive after dinner until one of our incurred a medical emergency. We’ve been asked to not publicize info on this, but I can say the crew did great and the skipper probably would have done the impossible at getting the diver back to port if he had to, but for the nearby good neighbors yachters with a speed boat who came to the rescue. Of all the yachts around Exuma with little dingies, we were so lucky to have them so close and willing; the odds against that were significant, but we knew it was an extreme sport when we got our C-cards and passports.

Monday brought more nice diving, food, diving, food, diving, food, but we skipped that night dive as well to make San Salvador island for the New Years Eve fireworks - which went off at 11 pm? Never learned why? The island is officially on Eastern time but maybe the locals prefer nearby Puerto Rico time? Such happens in some border towns I know.

Tuesday found us diving off of San Salvador different spots throughout the day, and we finally got a night dive there even after the bad weather news. The skipper explained that a strong northwestern front was pushing in Wednesday afternoon and was going to make the seas ungodly for boats, totally undivable, and we had to run hide after the morning dives. We could hope for improvements in time, but such was the plan.

Wednesday we started with two dives at Shark Reef. This company does not chum the water for shark dives like some do, but we did form a circle around the usual feeding bucket to see if the sharks would swim by? Nah, they’re dumb, but not stupid - they know that boat doesn’t feed. Did have a couple of nice dives on the nearby reefs tho, and saw a few cruise by. Then it was lunch and back to safe harbor on Exuma. The onboard bar opened early.

Thursday and Friday were down days indeed: eat, drink, lounge, shop, edit pics, and a side trip to Stocking Island. A couple did find seats on departing planes, but most of us just made the best of each others company until Saturday’s departures. Sleep to Ft. Lauderdale, clear officials and take a clubroom break, sleep to Houston, a short clubroom break, sleep to Lubbock, then the last 70 miles home.

Some adventures are more fun that others, but I ain’t ready to quit yet…!!

Thanks Don!

So tell us more about the Bahamas Explorer boat. How were their rooms? What was the condition of the boat?

It's nice to hear everyone took the bad weather well. How many dives did you get in total? Favorite dive site?

more more more!

Thanks Don!

So tell us more about the Bahamas Explorer boat. How were their rooms? What was the condition of the boat?

It's nice to hear everyone took the bad weather well. How many dives did you get in total? Favorite dive site?

more more more!
I thought the boat was great, even tho it is the oldest of their fleet. Quite roomy compared to the few other liveaboards I've tried, or compared to the cost. There was plenty of room on the dive deck for everyone to gear up at once, plenty in the salon for all to dine at once, the sun deck had 10 lounge chairs for 18 divers plus the seated area, and even the lower, cheaper rooms were pretty roomy compared to the other liveaboards I've tried that had bunks with curtains or 4 to a room. We had 2 to the room, lower bunk wide enough for two actually which gave plenty of room for soft bags to hide, our own sink and a small closet, plus two full service heads on the floor for 10 people I think it was - much roomier than I am used to on the cheaper liveaboards I've tried.

I am hesitant to go on about the crew as you see that so often, but they really did go well beyond the service levels I can remember experiencing anywhere else. Very accommodating and friendly the whole way. When the majority of us left the boat the last day, all but one walked us to the parking lot I think (don't they have to leave on onboard at all times?), carrying some of our bags, made sure we were loaded okay, said goodbye like old country folks.

I got 13 dives :( as I overslept one morning, we had the late start one morning, medical emergency one night and the run to San Salvador another night before the weather cut two of our days, but I enjoyed all of them.

I thought the boat was great, even tho it is the oldest of their fleet. Quite roomy compared to the few other liveaboards I've tried, or compared to the cost. There was plenty of room on the dive deck for everyone to gear up at once, plenty in the salon for all to dine at once, the sun deck had 10 lounge chairs for 18 divers plus the seated area, and even the lower, cheaper rooms were pretty roomy compared to the other liveaboards I've tried that had bunks with curtains or 4 to a room. We had 2 to the room, lower bunk wide enough for two actually which gave plenty of room for soft bags to hide, our own sink and a small closet, plus two full service heads on the floor for 10 people I think it was - much roomier than I am used to on the cheaper liveaboards I've tried.

I am hesitant to go on about the crew as you see that so often, but they really did go well beyond the service levels I can remember experiencing anywhere else. Very accommodating and friendly the whole way. When the majority of us left the boat the last day, all but one walked us to the parking lot I think (don't they have to leave on onboard at all times?), carrying some of our bags, made sure we were loaded okay, said goodbye like old country folks.

I got 13 dives :( as I overslept one morning, we had the late start one morning, medical emergency one night and the run to San Salvador another night before the weather cut two of our days, but I enjoyed all of them.

Thanks Don. It sounds like what I expected. I know another poster just said that they didn't enjoy the boat but I know everyone has different expectations. Having been on other liveaboards like in Calif.(sharing 2 bathrooms between 30 people, bunkbeds instead of private rooms, etc.) I know all about cramped
and smelly and "rough" conditions. I am sure this was much nicer! The pnline photos of the boat look nice (I did notice it looked like a bunch of dents in the hull in your photos though). To me it looks like a great dive boat, not fancy, but all you need for a great dive trip.

Did you think the engine was noisy? How did sharing a bathroom go? Any problems with toilets? (These are all things the other person mentioned as problems when they were on the boat last month) How much did the boat rock in the bad weather?

We are going to have to consider this trip sometime in the future. The walls look nice and I love wall diving. Thanks for all the info!

Thanks Don. It sounds like what I expected. I know another poster just said that they didn't enjoy the boat but I know everyone has different expectations. Having been on other liveaboards like in Calif.(sharing 2 bathrooms between 30 people, bunkbeds instead of private rooms, etc.) I know all about cramped
and smelly and "rough" conditions. I am sure this was much nicer! The pnline photos of the boat look nice (I did notice it looked like a bunch of dents in the hull in your photos though). To me it looks like a great dive boat, not fancy, but all you need for a great dive trip.
Yeah, the boat is older and while a little dented, I had no problems with it - and that was the week before they took it out of service for maintenance, so I suppose I probly had it at its worst? I'd done the Calf liveaboard with bunks in big room and somewhat similar on the Flower Gardens, 2 heads for 30, etc - and I'd hate to do one of those for more than a weekend.
For the price, I thot it was quite sufficient. Simple comparing lists prices...
> Blackbeards: $929 - don't expect anything good, just basic camping;
> Caribbean Explorer I: $1,295 gives you so much more;
> Nekton NW Bahamas departing Florida: $1,795 - I have never done one. Perhaps this would be worth the extra money to many, as the air would be much less and I've heard the boats are super.
Did you think the engine was noisy? How did sharing a bathroom go? Any problems with toilets? (These are all things the other person mentioned as problems when they were on the boat last month) How much did the boat rock in the bad weather?
I didn't notice any problems with engine noise, but then the hum and movement made sleep easier for me. No toilet problems at all, did have to ask the engineer to fix our stopped sink - but it was fixed quickly. The private sinks and the shared heads all had liquid soap furnished, and I didn't have a problem sharing 2 with 10 people. For all I know, he ladies onboard might have preferred I shower more often than I did, as I don't worry so much on a liveaboard - maybe every other day in addition to the frehswater rinses on dive deck, but they never said anything? :silly:
We are going to have to consider this trip sometime in the future. The walls look nice and I love wall diving. Thanks for all the info!
Yep the wall diving is super! I don't know what the Nekton offers in NW Bahams, but they could be worth the difference. I guess they're the only boat offering diving on the various islands there, so yeah - try them sometime. :wink:

Don,
The Nekton's Bahamas trips are all on the west side of Exumas..
NW Bahamas itinerary goes out of Ft. Lauderdale, up from Bimini to Grand Bahama island and back.
Cay Sal goes out of Ft. Lauderdale, then straight south to the northern area just off Cuba.
The new one to Medio reef is actually reef area off the west coast of Exuma and a day over to Cay Sal.
They used to do the itinerary called "southern bahamas" which looks like it is the same area as the Explorer does now. I think there is another boat over there too doing that area.

We are doing the Medio Reef trip this time with a group of friends in April. It should be a blast as it is a first liveaboard for all of them. :D They are all dive-addicts like us so we are anxious for them to experience the "dive dive dive" fun of a liveaboard! After we do this one, we will let the group pick the next desitation and boat. :D

robint, if you'd like I can try to send you a report of my trip on the CEXI. I went with a fellow SD diver who lives near me back last May. If you'd like a copy of the report I have please just let me know.
If its' here on Sb already, why not link it - or post it on this thread if you'd like...?

robint, if you'd like I can try to send you a report of my trip on the CEXI. I went with a fellow SD diver who lives near me back last May. If you'd like a copy of the report I have please just let me know.
I've read your report already, thanks!

Our group will probably only do one big trip together per year so as much as I would like to go on another later in the year, I don't think it will happen. We will be doing a group trip out to Calif for a few days of diving though in Aug/Sept timeframe. Gotta get my kelp fix once a year too!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom