Sinus squeeze

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OldNSalty

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
How do you deal with sinus squeeze while snorkeling/freediving? I generally have a high tolerance to pain but I find it very difficult to swim down to any real depth and of course, each following attempt I don’t go as far because the pain gets worse over time. Any advice?

if you're experiencing sinus squeeze, are you sure you're not getting a head cold or have sinus infection or other sinus blockage? It's the only time I feel any sinus pain. It can be a forewarning days in advance of a bad cold setting in. I guess I'd try a saline solution nose spray first off and see if that helps.

Wow...I thought this was something everyone had but some people had figured out how to over come it. I have always had this problem when swimming/freediving. I can equalize fine with scuba but sometimes I have some mucus once I hit the surface. Should I be talking to a Dr.? I know one time, I had gotten a CT and my Dr. said I had a sinus infection (that wasn't why i was getting the CT). I didn't think I had any symptoms of a sinus infection but he said it was there. I will say that while I don't feel congested, most days I can not exhale out of both sides of my nose(some days it is the right side, some days the left) but again-I have never had any problems with scuba.

I equalize the same way I do when diving by holding my nostrils and blowing softly until the pressure equalizes. I also take generic sudafed to help.

some things to consider.
1) you might be allergic to something in the air and allergy testing could help you figure it out
2) you might be a non allergic rhinitis (like me) where you aren't allergic to anything, but you react to somethings radomly as though they are allergens
3) an over the counter allergy med like claritin D or Zyrtec might help
4) use a saline spray the night before a dive but don't just spray it up your nose...to really get my sinus clear I'll lay on my bed with my head hanging off and spray away moving my head around laying on my stomach and then back- this really gets the saline into all of your sinuses and help a lot- remember to close your eustachean tubes though, saline spray tastes like drowning

good luck and dive safe

Back
Top Bottom