Sinus Wash

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chugmeister

Contributor
Reaction score
Since winter of last year I have made a daily sinus wash part of my morning grooming ritual. Basically you take what looks like a small flower watering pot, fill it with water and a pack of SinuFresh. Basically just a heavy saline solution. You then tilt your head back and proceed to pour the solution up your nose. It flushes out you sinuses etc.

Ok I know you are saying to yourselve why in God's name would any sane human do a thing like that. Well I have never been accused of being sane but I used to suffer from sinus infections, 4 to 7 times a year which caused me to miss alot of work and money since I am an independent contractor.

Anyway I haven't had a sinus infection since I started but I am wondering how this will affect my diving? Should I suspend my daily ritual for any certain length of time before my dive trip to Cozumel in a week?

Thanks for any serious advice. Sorry if the topic was a bit gross to some.

Your treatment is precisely what my doctor recommended. I too am a cronic sinus sufferer and the flush has worked well in keeping it under control and reducing my contributions to the ENT's college scholarship plan.

I do it a little differently though. I find a cyringe or a straw works much better and I usually hang upside down from a bed or a bar when pouring in the solution. Looks kind of crazy but it works for me. I also use pure distilled water or water that I am sure has no contaminates. If you use tap water be aware that it may contain nasty stuff that could agrivate your situation.

As for diving I find it actually helps to clear everything out but I'm not sure about using a heavy solution prior to the dive as it does sometimes agrivate my sinuses.

Additionally, after I do the pour I often try very gently eaqualizing and rolling my fact around to ensure a good coating prior to draining the sinuses. If seems to result in a more interesting draining. I'm sure you will know what I am referring to here.

When in doubt it is best to check with a real doctor regarding something like this.

Good luck with your quest. I am very interested in what might come of this thread.

trevinkorea:
... It seems to result in a more interesting draining. I'm sure you will know what I am referring to here.

Yep. I am there with ya.

Ok, you are both better men than me. I have tried it, could not see doing it on a regular basis. I have had the surgery twice which helped and I do a saline (ocean) spray twice a day. But not the whole wash.

I agree with Pasley - I saw the nose thing in a yoga book and that sinus cleansing sure looked like a good idea, except it's also a pretty good interrogation technique. I can stitch myself, but pouring stuff up my nose is a no-can-do. This topic really threw off all the "Similar Threads" listed below - all that the algorithym could come up with was bad weather and dirty dive gear threads.

the pot is called a neti pot - if you search on that you find a few things.

SinuFresh?? Is this OTC or perscription?

I had sinus surgery almost two years ago and from time to time still flush. I have never had any problems doing this before diving. If I think I might be a bit stuffy then I start flushing a day or two before the dive, no problems.

BTW, I use a bulb syringe, one of those that they use to clear out a babies nose at birth. Take distilled water and add a teaspoon of baking soda and warm the water. I then tip my head forward and insert the bulb in a nostril, point it to the other ear and squeeze. Not my favorite thing to do but if it keeps the doc away then it is worth it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom